Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 EX Sorento EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question from the newby, I didn't see anything by searching. I noticed both the 2011 V6 EX we had for a couple months and now the new 2013 V6 EX both seem to rev up a bit at start up, I always thought that was bad due to oil not being fully circulated? I worry a bit knowing it is going to be below zero soon, I do plan on running full synthetic.:confused:

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
we had -39 celcius 5w-20 coventional oil still worked good.. idle for about 5 mins.. then drive slowly.. (theres block heater too anyway.. 5w-20 is not that sticky at all.. dont change to synthetic yet till 15000 miles or 24000 km... but its up to you.. i got lots of info in bobistheoilguy.com right now im running castrol edge titanium.. 5w-30 just to protect from idling and stop and go traffic... and high revs (occasional only though) gas mileage seems same.. engine is quiet...

·
Registered
2013 EX Sorento EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kobi, do you notice the rev up in the start up cycle? It has always made sense to me to keep the r's low until all is warm so this seems odd to me. Are you saying there's a heater on my car? Now that would be cool!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
All cars will rev high-ish when you initially start them up when they're cold. I do notice that the Sorento, mainly the V6, does seem to a rev a little high on initial start. Mine makes quite the racket for the first two seconds.

I'll be switching to an OEM filter and a semi-synthetic blend next oil change to see if that helps out with the racket on cold start.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It's common for the ECU to rev the engine at 1500 to 1700 rpm at start-up and then this goes down to <1000 rpm within 30 seconds or so. Even 1700 rpm isn't very fast, and it's probably a good idea to get the oil flowing with a high idle. I've always thought it best to get the car under way at moderate speeds rather than opting for prolonged idling.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's common for the ECU to rev the engine at 1500 to 1700 rpm at start-up and then this goes down to <1000 rpm within 30 seconds or so. Even 1700 rpm isn't very fast, and it's probably a good idea to get the oil flowing with a high idle. I've always thought it best to get the car under way at moderate speeds rather than opting for prolonged idling.
Maybe mine is broken then! Now that it's real cold here in Canada, Mine goes to about 2300 first thing in the morning.

I took this video back in August. It was pretty warm outside but this was its first start of the day.

You can also hear the clatter I am talking about for the first two seconds or so the engine is started. Now that it is cold out its even worse.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Kobi, do you notice the rev up in the start up cycle? It has always made sense to me to keep the r's low until all is warm so this seems odd to me. Are you saying there's a heater on my car? Now that would be cool!
there's a block heater.. check it out, its usually hanging beside the fuse box.. it warms up the block and and the oil overnight so it would warm up the sorento faster in the morning.. rpms wont be so high and you can drive right away..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
All cars will rev high-ish when you initially start them up when they're cold. I do notice that the Sorento, mainly the V6, does seem to a rev a little high on initial start. Mine makes quite the racket for the first two seconds.

I'll be switching to an OEM filter and a semi-synthetic blend next oil change to see if that helps out with the racket on cold start.
how many km's are you? i have been alway with oem parts eversince, after changing to synthetic, engine noise significantly lowered..

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
According to the video, Your startup RPMs are only momentarily at 2300; it settles to 1500 pretty quick, and that is not a problem. Probably a lot less RPMs than the traditional start-up procedure where it used to be necessary to stroke the accelerator pedal at start-up.

I've only noticed engine clatter for a few seconds at start-up after the car has been idle for a month or so. Castrol Magnatec oils are supposed to be good for start-up noise and might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2013 EX Sorento EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how many km's are you? i have been alway with oem parts eversince, after changing to synthetic, engine noise significantly lowered..
Around 2000 miles. I was going to go syn first change, but may wait until second now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just about to hit 64k. My next oil change is due for next week. Since this thing is so easy to do an oil change on, I'll just do it myself.

How many quarts does the 3.5L take?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
Around 2000 miles. I was going to go syn first change, but may wait until second now.
I changed mine around that time. I had a free oil change from the dealer, so I went ahead and had it done because I knew I'd be putting in synthetic later. My oil looked kind of dark, so I had no problems changing it. Like Kobi said, Bobistheoilguy is a great website. From what I've read, some people say to not go synthetic until after your first oil change. Actually, it was the Kia service tech that said that to me also. I'm not sure I buy that though, since you can go back and forth from dino to syn if you wanted to.

I just recently changed my oil at 5500 miles to synthetic because we do A LOT of stop and go driving, along with short trips. Everything is within 5 to 6 miles of where we live. I used Penzoil Ultra class, but I've been a Penzoil guy for many years. Just make sure you get a good quality oil and stick with it. On that note, even after going syn, I haven't noticed any change in sound on start up, but then again I never really had too much of an issue with it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
I'll be changing out to full synthetic but only at the recommended interval...don't see the need to change it prematurely. Mine also rev's high as did my 2004 but all vehicles do this, have you heard a Toyota truck lately OMG it sounds like it's going to blow a gasket on cold starts lol

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Try the castrol edge with titanium? its expensive but IMO will be worth to protect the engine in idling stop-go traffic and high revs esp. V6 really tempting.. lol
I mostly use Castrol products and lately have been using 5W-30 Edge (Titanium) in my better cars. Seems to be good (but how would I know?). All I can say is the engines sound smooth and the oil still looks nice and clean after 10,000km. Costs about A$15 per litre compared to about A$8 for more conventional oils.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
I'll be changing out to full synthetic but only at the recommended interval...don't see the need to change it prematurely
Remember if you are in the "severe usage" then your change interval will be sooner, around 3650 miles. With full synthetic, I'll go 6 or 7k between changes.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I also noticed the brief high RPMs on initial startup. I don't get any clatter though and it lasts for only a second or two. I'm not particularly concerned about it, especially since I only use full synthetic oil.

Best,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts