Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016, EX Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help- 2016 Sorento that has a remote start. First noticed when I used the remote start it stalled on the first start and automatically tried again a second time and runs. Now, when I sit in my SUV and push button, it turns over and starts, runs about 2-3 seconds and dies. When I push button again it starts and runs normally. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL
13 Posts
idk if the remote start is being used correctly..you have 30 seconds (i think) before the car dies if you open the door and don't tap the brake and start button. perhaps im stating the obvious here....

·
Registered
2016, EX Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help- 2016 Sorento that has a remote start. First noticed when I used the remote start it stalled on the first start and automatically tried again a second time and runs.

Today without using the remote start, when I sit in my SUV and push button, it turns over and starts, runs about 2-3 seconds and dies. When I push button again it starts and runs normally. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
331 Posts
Sounds like it's losing pressure in the fuel lines while it's sitting. Fairly easy thing for the dealership to check with a pressure gauge on the line and letting it sit for a few hours. It energizes the lines by the second start and then obviously maintains pressure while the pump is running. Can be anything from a leaking injector to a blown seal somewhere in the system but not usually a difficult repair.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
197 Posts
Turn on ignition (push your button 2 times w/o foot on brake) and wait 5 seconds, repeat this 1 or 2 times w/o cranking the engine, not ACC position, but full on with all dash lights in test on. This will prime the low pressure fuel system as the PCM runs the fuel pump 3-5 seconds when IGN is turned on. If car starts immediately after that, your leaking pressure from the low pressure system, most likely a stuck or bad check valve in the fuel pump. The high pressure system runs at 435 to 2175 PSI and is supplied fuel by the low pressure system. It sounds like you are running on the residual fuel in the HP side , but the low side supply has leaked off to the tank when the ignition was shut off. The electric pump in the tank needs time to re-pressurize the lost fuel in the LP side back to 72 PSI.
High side rarely leaks as it's designed to hold over 2000 PSI so it has a fairly reliable setup. Also if the HP side leaked down it would be through the injectors and lack of pressure on the high side would show as a long cranking (no fast start) , plus a cylinder loaded with fuel (another story). The HP pump design is mechanical, not electric and it requires the cam turning to power the pump to build pressure, hense cranking w/o kicking over right away.
As a favor please post a result of this test so we can proceed to assist you if this is not helpful..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help- 2016 Sorento that has a remote start. First noticed when I used the remote start it stalled on the first start and automatically tried again a second time and runs. Now, when I sit in my SUV and push button, it turns over and starts, runs about 2-3 seconds and dies. When I push button again it starts and runs normally. Any ideas?
Hi; Interesting to note that I have exactly the same issue with my 2000 Kia Sportage EX, after I installed a security alarm system made by "Tomahawk", in addition, it now displays the safety air bag warning light in the dash display.
I can therefore assume that it is a "Kia" design flaw. In saying that, I am confident to claim that a qualified Auto-Electrician is capable to repair the flaw. Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,880 Posts
Hi; Interesting to note that I have exactly the same issue with my 2000 Kia Sportage EX, after I installed a security alarm system made by "Tomahawk", in addition, it now displays the safety air bag warning light in the dash display.
I can therefore assume that it is a "Kia" design flaw. In saying that, I am confident to claim that a qualified Auto-Electrician is capable to repair the flaw. Best of luck!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts