Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2020 Sorento LX AWD I purchased a month and a half ago replaced a 2014 Jeep Patriot 4WD. That Jeep could go anywhere...until there was a 1/4 inch of snow on the ground. I could barely keep it on the road. I had to stay far behind the car in front of me to keep from rear ending them. Until I got dedicated winter tires. It was like a different car. Or like driving on dry summer roads. So I know how much of a difference winter tires make. Rather than wait to see how the oem tires on the Sorento handle snow and ice, I decided to go ahead and order me some good winter tires. I always get my tires from Tire Rack (I live close enough that I go to their facility and have them install them). I went on their website and saw that our vehicles came with 235/65R17 tires. Found some nice Michelin’s and placed an order, to be installed later in the week. Was tinkering with the car today and double checked the tire size. Good thing I did! My car has 235/60R18. I bought it used, but it only had 2,000 miles on it, so it had to come from the factory with these. I checked a couple other sites and they all said the standard size was 235/65R17. Was the larger size an option?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
154 Posts
Does it look like a factory kia rim? You can play with sidewall height and width, but you are locked into whatever diameter your wheels are.

My 2017 LX came with the standard 17 inch wheel. Maybe you have an EX or SX wheel? Those might have a larger diameter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
miscrap
If you have the LX that's has larger aftermarket wheels and tires of an EX or SX, you better check your speedometer synchronization and be sure it's correct.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
360 Posts
If you go to Tire Rack, select a tire, then scroll down the screen to 'Specs', the column towards the right side of the chart lists Revolutions per mile. For Michelin tires the 235/65R17 and the 235/60R18 both rotate at 715 revolutions per mile. This is due to the lower (60) profile decreasing the actual 'height of the rubber verses the 65 profile tire. So more steel on the wheel, but less rubber on the tire equals the same overall diameter as the 235/65R17.
Bottom line ...This allows Kia to change wheel-tire options w/o needing to reprogram the PCM.
I can't answer your original question on why you have 18's verses 17's...

Reactions: dardsa

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
miscrap
If you have the LX that's has larger aftermarket wheels and tires of an EX or SX, you better check your speedometer synchronization and be sure it's correct.
As bobdec notes, it's a non-issue. The three possible OEM tire sizes being used (17, 18, 19) all come up to an almost identical circumference. Odo/speedo numbers won't be impacted.

LX standard = 235/65-17
EX standard = 235/60-18
S and SX standard = 235/55-19

So yes, the OP wound up with rims/tires from an EX. It's possible that someone purchasing an EX didn't want the lower profile tires, and asked for 17" and the dealer made the swap. It happens.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento AWD 2.2 CRDI
2 Posts
So yes, the OP wound up with rims/tires from an EX. It's possible that someone purchasing an EX didn't want the lower profile tires, and asked for 17" and the dealer made the swap. It happens.
Or he has an EX since he says he has the V6

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure. It was a Hertz rental. They titled it in March. I guess no one was renting cars because they sold it in May with 2,000 miles on it. Not sure why they would order it with 18s, but that's what it has.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
Oops. Adds another variable. Assumed the 2020 was new. All bets off. Heaven knows what Hertz may have done.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
154 Posts
Post a picture of your wheel. We can then identify which model it came off of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts