Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2014
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2011 Sorento continues to have a stalling problem that two dealership's I've taken it to cannot fix. Its been doing this since it was six months old. It is now two years old. Sometimes it will happen twice a week or as far as 3-4 weeks without stalling. Basically when we come to a stop sighn or light in suburban driving, we'll suddenly notice the dash lights come on. We then have to switch to park and start the car again. It starts up fine right away, but is very annoying, especially if there are cars waiting behind us.

The problem is the deals and Kia customer service all say that its not throwing any codes and since it doesn't happen to them when they test drive it, they don't know what to fix/replace.

We've gone down the 'bad gas', 'water in the tank', list of things that were blamed in the beginning. Does anyone have any ideas what we can do?

·
Registered
Sorento 2014
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stalling randomly at stops heading down hill

I forgot to mention, it always seems to happen at stop sights/lights after coming down a hill. The can may already be levelled out at that point. And it does at all levels of gas in the tank.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Our 2011 Sorento continues to have a stalling problem that two dealership's I've taken it to cannot fix. Its been doing this since it was six months old. It is now two years old. Sometimes it will happen twice a week or as far as 3-4 weeks without stalling. Basically when we come to a stop sighn or light in suburban driving, we'll suddenly notice the dash lights come on. We then have to switch to park and start the car again. It starts up fine right away, but is very annoying, especially if there are cars waiting behind us.

The problem is the deals and Kia customer service all say that its not throwing any codes and since it doesn't happen to them when they test drive it, they don't know what to fix/replace.

We've gone down the 'bad gas', 'water in the tank', list of things that were blamed in the beginning. Does anyone have any ideas what we can do?
If you can try and get it on video then you may have a good chance at getting it fixed. Also, To save you the time, you do not have to put the car in Park to re-start the engine. All you gotta do is put it in neutral and your on your way. Just a little easier for you when it does happen.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
damn this sounds remarkably the same as the problem i was describing here
http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/80482-engine-went-off-line-itself.html

i've been unable to reproduce it on demand

still trying to figure out the exact circumstances when this gets triggered.

a month ago, i had 2 incidents on the same stretch of road twice, just a short distance of each other

basically once at the lights, then again at a stop sign

like you I had to shift to neutral and reboot the car again.

since i've avoided shifting to neutral the problem sort of went away

but like you sometimes i do feel the car as if it's idling off on some stops / lights when i do student stops, then try to give gas again as people/traffic starts rolling again

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
What RPM does your car idle at when at a stop sign and brake pressed?

Do you have any additional electrical items in the car? sub-woofer, DVD...anything

Did they check battery and/or alternator?

If voltage goes too low, that might cause car to stop/stall...especially noticeable at low RPMs when stopped.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
What RPM does your car idle at when at a stop sign and brake pressed?

Do you have any additional electrical items in the car? sub-woofer, DVD...anything

Did they check battery and/or alternator?

If voltage goes too low, that might cause car to stop/stall...especially noticeable at low RPMs when stopped.
ohhhhhh...... now that you mention it... it makes the more sense why it is more prominent the issue when i'm in Neutral

in my case nothing extra when it happened a lot, the Sorento was still stock at that time

i've not had the stalling problem for about a couple of months, which sort of coincide with my fancy lights accessories, but they draw from the fusebox, and the lights only turn on when i turn on the head lights

i can't see how that could be preventing the stalling problem, specially when it's not even operational during the day.

unless the extra ohm resistance is making it pump more voltage and prevents it from falling too low as when it was in stock,

·
Registered
Sorento 2014
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, this does sound like the same behavior as BB6886 mentioned, except we never shift to neutral. It tends to occur at low RPM when coming to a stop, but nothing we can reproduce.

The dealer(s) we've taken it two have replaced the altinator a few times, but never found a problem and keep saying they can't fix it because they can't recreate it.

I'll check the normal idle RPM tonight and report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi just got my 2013 sorento ex this week. But as soon I drove home from the dealer, I noticed shaking everytime I come to a full stop, wether at stop lights/signs or about to park with the transmission at Drive and brake pedal depressed. When I put the transmission to N or P , the shaking disappears. It also disappears when I engage the park/foot brake and release the brake pedal with the transmission still at D.
I went back to the dealer and they told me that its normal because of my 4cyl engine, too small and has too much room to play in the engine compartment. Wow...
This shaking is annoying enough to shake your eyeglasses sometimes. Anyway they told me to comeback maybe after 1000km. I have 200km yet. Any help please?

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
2013 Sorento - Rough Idle

Welcome to the forum! :D

and what you described is a well known issue, if you want to call it like that
here's the link

2013 Sorento - Rough Idle
http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/79303-2013-sorento-rough-idle.html

Hi just got my 2013 sorento ex this week. But as soon I drove home from the dealer, I noticed shaking everytime I come to a full stop, wether at stop lights/signs or about to park with the transmission at Drive and brake pedal depressed. When I put the transmission to N or P , the shaking disappears. It also disappears when I engage the park/foot brake and release the brake pedal with the transmission still at D.
I went back to the dealer and they told me that its normal because of my 4cyl engine, too small and has too much room to play in the engine compartment. Wow...
This shaking is annoying enough to shake your eyeglasses sometimes. Anyway they told me to comeback maybe after 1000km. I have 200km yet. Any help please?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks BB6886.
By the way , I also tried to press the accelerator with the brake pedal depressed and still at D. The shaking was still there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Purchased new 2013 sorento ex on 9/24/2012. Next day, I went to service department for vibrate/rough idle. After 4 days of eval, they still could not identify the root cause. They told me that ECM software upgrade is alraedy done by manufacture and KIA is aware of rough idle issue. I like to know if anyone resolved their rough idle issue on 2013 sorento.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4 month old 2012 with 7K km on it that has just developed the same problem. Braking into stop signs/traffic lights and it just stalls out. Off to the dealer to see what they say but I always dread these intermittent impossible to recreate problems. I've been on the level each time, they have not been hi rpm to stop quick brakes, just slow decelerations in city traffic. Idle seems smooth, all other operations seem fine, no after market addons, no noticeable electrical issues.

Thanks for the nuetral to restart thing, that will be easier.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I have a 4 month old 2012 with 7K km on it that has just developed the same problem. Braking into stop signs/traffic lights and it just stalls out. Off to the dealer to see what they say but I always dread these intermittent impossible to recreate problems. I've been on the level each time, they have not been hi rpm to stop quick brakes, just slow decelerations in city traffic. Idle seems smooth, all other operations seem fine, no after market addons, no noticeable electrical issues.

Thanks for the nuetral to restart thing, that will be easier.
Yeah, if it stalls and you are still rolling, You may not even have to put your foot on the brake when you shift to neutral and hit the button

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6
40 Posts
Add me to the list. 2012 EX V6, 7k miles. Was sitting at a stoplight and engine died. No rough idle, just shut down like I had pushed the button. Started right back up. I was half mile from dealer so I stopped in and asked about it. They said "never heard of that". If I ever find an answer I will be sure to post.

·
Registered
Sorento 2014
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on stalling issue

Just wanted to check in with an update. In December the dealership acknowledged they had other cars with this issue and they felt it was an electrical issue. So I brought it in and they cleaned some of the major contacts going to the computer and all the major electrical grounds. Unfortunately, that did not fix it. So just last week we took it in again and this time they are replacing the intake manifold. I appreciate that Kia is trying to fix it, but we are frustrated that we've had to deal with it for two years.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
Taking a shot in the dark here. I thought my car had the brakes applied slightly when slowing down, but was told that the engine shuts off and the trany remains engaged to slow the vehicle down. At some speed near stop, the trany releases and the engine re-starts.(fuel delivery enabled) I wonder if something is happening here that the trany does not disengage, or fuel delivery enabled and causes the engine to stall because your foot is still on the brake at that time.:eek: I know that when the ECU senses brake and throttle at the same time, brakes win.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Our Sorento 2011 EX, has been doing the same thing. Started stalling after owning the car for 6 months. The car will seems to do this while driving 10-30miles( mainly when coming to a stop sign, slowing down to make turns, or driving slowly through a parking lot. I too have had the car in 4 times (reported) all times with the dealership on this matter. The dealership cannot repeat the stalling out, and cannot find any codes regarding this matter. I finally reported this to NHTSA, 4 weeks ago. I have read other reports from people owning this same make, and model. We are looking into the "lemon law", now on this matter. The car is under warranty, for another year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: Sorento was towed into dealership on Thurs March, 28th 2013,( car not starting with push-start), and they worked on, for two days of repairs. Found "Stop Lamp Switch, shorting. Replaced with new one. Found code: C1513, (which is related to brake switch.)

Second item: Car likes to stall out when driving (10-30) miles when slowing for stop signs, driving slow through parking-lots, or when turning to make turns. Engine hesitates when pressing gas pedal on freeways.

Kia, did not know how to handle this, so they called the (Field Service Engineer out.) He Checked, and secured grounds, installed (star washer in engine compartment.) Next, he checked (tensi grounds, and installed star wahers on the fuel pump.) More so, he (replaced throttle body.) They also stripped the wiring, of paint, and lubed for better connections.
Kia, states this solve the issues, we been having. However, the manager stated if the switch brake gives us any issues, to call again. We will see how things go. We did open up a calm with consumer affairs office of Kia, and filed with NHTSA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Sorento Stalling

I bought my 2012 Sorento in Oct 2011. First stall was Dec 2012,at a stop sign, brought it in they could not find the problem. They thought maybe some air got into the fuel line.
Second stall ....last week May 8, 2013. I was going about 10mph making a right turn. It started right up again. Brought it in...Nothing. No error reports. Service depth was stummped.
Then today it stalled again at a stop sign. I had a full take of gas these last two times. It started right up when I turned it over. I'm bringing back to the service depth tomorrow with a print out of this forum. I have also emailed Kia. I'm getting really upset about this.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts