Kia Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has any one came up with a solution to this? My wife's 2001 Spectra started squealing and shredded the alternator / water pump belt. Replaced both belts and it still did it (almost all the time). Ended up replacing the water pump and timing belt (thinking it was the bearings in the water pump). This did not work either. I isolated the sound (I thought), by taking the power steering belt off and running the car, still did it when I would turn on the rear defrost and headlights. This lead me to the alternator, so I removed that belt, no squeal. So, I replaced the newer alternator with a 110 Amp one, still the same problem. I have it fairly nailed down to squealing at take off or sometimes at idle when the defrost is on and I switch the A/C on. I am pretty sure the tension is correct on both belts, not too much slack, will deflect around 1/8" or so when you apply pressure. This has me completely baffled, if it does start squealing and you left off the accelerator pedal till it dies off it will stop and not happen again while driving.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
'71SB409
First ...Welcome to kia-forums!

Now common causes of belt squeal is

1 bad belt or poor tension adjustments

2 glazed belts...A new belt WILL become glazed in a very short time "if" it is not adjusted properly and allowed to slip. No matter what adjustment to tension AFTER the belt has been glazed will solve the squeal... The belt will have to be removed and lightly sanded to remove the slippery surface...or it may have to be replaced all together...

3 "if" a bad belt has been allowed to slip for some time the channel (the "V") in the pulleys that the belt rides in may also need to be roughed up with some sand paper
as the belt can slip on a very smooth surface...

4 items like the alternator bearings, water pump bearings, power steering bearings can cause drag (friction) on even a new belt so you may have to address these problems..

If I have a squealing belt I'll lightly sand all surfaces the belt makes contact with to make better traction and THEN replace the belt with an new higher quality brand belt (GATES/Goodyear/Dayco), tension it properly, and run it for a few miles and THEN re-tension the new belt.... They WILL stretch slightly when first installed and need to be re-tensioned to have them last for many more miles...

You might want to upgrade the original Sephia/Spectra Alternator also as it IS under powered...
Dave

BTW the belt will squeal if glazed UNTIL the slipping belt gets warm and the rubber gains traction... Again clean/sand belt and pulleys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dave,

Thank you, I will check the belts and possibly replace them again. At this time I will check the pulleys. As I stated in my comment, I replaced the alternator (was a new 70 Amp a year ago) with a 110 Amp alternator yesterday.

Is there a good way to check the tension on the belts other than just pushing on them and tightening till it "seems fine"?

Thank you

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS Sport, 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT Ext 4x4 (SOLD), 1987 Harley FXST (SOLD)
10 Posts
Came to forums (after a long time of not being here) to see if the Valeo 110 amp alternator was interchangeable. Got my answer without having to start a thread. ;) Belt squeals until charge met (30-60 sec). Bought belts but used a spray to get by until I can get into a warm garage. Battery was dead after 2 days of sitting (probably because the electric door locks like to operate themselves randomly with key off) Battery was new less than 2 yrs ago (some mo mo put in basically a lawnmower battery (325cca) previously). Thinking bad plates.
If I had insurance (not required in NH if you own it) or could afford a car payment I'd ditch out the door, do a dramatic stunt man body roll out the door and watch it crash. :p

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,852 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts