Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Shuma I 2000 1.8 GS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shuma I 1.8GS
So its getting cold and wet here and a bad Squeal is comming when I start the engine and a few blocks down.

I was thinking I have to tighten the belt. But before that It might also be a good idea to remove and clean both belt and pulleys?

Hope someone can give me a good step på step or even pictures.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Get a new belt and lightly sand the inside of the pulleys (where the belt makes contact with them) as they get "polished" and the new belt will slip and fail soon after installing.
Retension the belt after a week and you're good to go...
You don't want to be doing this in the middle of a snow storm..
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Shuma I 2000 1.8 GS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a new belt and lightly sand the inside of the pulleys (where the belt makes contact with them) as they get "polished" and the new belt will slip and fail soon after installing.
Retension the belt after a week and you're good to go...
You don't want to be doing this in the middle of a snow storm..
Dave
I see.
So its no use to check or tighten the belt at all?
The car has been sitting unused for 1,5 years, so I was thinking it might just need some adjusting/cleaning?
And how do you remove/tighten belts? And also how much slack should the belt have?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
I just think it's better to replace the belts "if" they are squealing as they all ready have a hard glaze on the surface that makes contact with the pulleys.
Each belt has different ways of removal.. Almost all require a set of metric sockets and a 3/8" wrench and/or metric box wrenches. When tightening (tensioning) the belt usually you should be able to push in on the belt aprox 1/4~1/2". They relax after a few miles and will require re-tensioning.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. I would try and tighten them first, thereis a tension bolt on the alternator and is easier to get to by going under the car to get to the alternator due to the inlet manifold and the second tension bolt is on the power steering unit. Also sanding the pulleys can work but you can also get a silicone spray which will make the belt sticky and stop the squealing. Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.