Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Sporty - diesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out any info on a 1994 Kia Sporty 2.0 diesel radiator ... I've already checked the Kia website and no luck with the radiator except how to install or remove it ..... here is my question mine has 2 rows (or passes) the stock ones listed in the parts houses on the net call for 1 ... as I now live in the Philippines (originally from the US) where the temp is 80F and above all year long and we have actual mountains instead of hills do they make a 3 or 4 row radiator to fit the Sporty so I can add a bit more cooling capacity to keep from having a boil over .... I know you guys only have gas powered Sportys over there in the US and I have checked a number of sites including one from Italy (where I have to convert everything to Italian) but haven't seen anything that tells me how many rows most radiators have or if you can put a radiator with more than 2 passes in them ....

Any info would be greatly appreciated ..... thanks

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
If you want to keep factory air, you probably would not be able to switch to a 2 or 3 row radiator without also converting to an electric fan setup, but you should measure the clearance from the back of the stock radiator -> the mechanical fan clutch on your Sporty to confirm this.
--
On the 2000 gas version here, there wasn't enough clearance.

Edit: I was looking at adding an aftermarket radiator setup, you may be able to find a 2-row radiator sized to your Sporty, such as:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/kia~sportage~radiator~parts.html

I ended up leaving the stock radiator (it was working well to begin with) and installing a SPAL electric fan/controller combo.

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1994 Sporty - diesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply ... sorry for the delay a bit of a time difference here .... LOL ..... another thought I had is to maybe take the condensing fan motor and hooking it to a toggle type switch so it can be turned on manually with the A/C off when going up the mountains ... it might help force a bit more air through the radiator and perhaps keep the radiator cooler ..... is that freezable ..... unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of options here in the Philippines as far as finding quality auto parts .... definitely not like the US ..... and nothing can be bought on-line here ..... stuff ordered on-line from the US and shipped here cost as much if not more to get through customs than the cost of the item to begin with ....

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
No worries, I forgot which day it is here days ago.. :)

--
Best I can offer is to try to find a salvage yard local to your location, and see (what) vehicles might have a 12-14" pusher-type fan that may help: the A/C condenser fan installed on the US Sporty's here is really just a "helper" fan, it's really not designed to push any major airflow through the radiator, it's primarily to help cool the A/C condenser down only..

I think you would have to install a (larger) pusher fan to cover more area / to get any real CFMs / airflow through. But I've been known to be wrong before, so I would give it a try w/ the installed fan & see how it works for you first.

If you decide to hookup / wire the A/C fan for manual operation, would highly recommend using a proper Relay in the circuit: you want to make sure that only a single (1) +12 volt source is energizing the fan at any point, else risk causing issue w/ the Sporty's A/C wiring..

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1994 Sporty - diesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sir for your advise ..... I'll let you know how I make out ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts