Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc sonoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nelson here, 2000 sportage loud thumping mid to rear end on excelleration, car new to me 112,000 mi replaced carrier bearing, 6 body mounts lowers finished, gone, don,t know about uppers, don,t want to spend much more money, howling in rear end when let off gas , 45mph & louder at higher speeds, thanks if anyone can help, nelson

·
Registered
2002 gmc sonoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sporty, loud thumping in rear

thanks philip for reply, put up on ramps every thing seamed tight, heard when driving bearing noise, local mec which i,ve used for a few years very little, changed his mind from rear dif, to carrier bearing, replaced $400. later noise , bearing gone, but thumping goes on, excell, all mounts finished, sporty still rides high lot of clearence above tires, but lots of vibrations, nelson

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
shaking the drive shaft only checks worn joints, the shaft must be removed to test seized joints...

Also check bushing in rear suspension and transmission mounts.... Philip

·
Registered
2002 gmc sonoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nelson here, thanks philip, sounds rite on , now may not trust local mec, do i take front & rear shafts out & how to ck, sorry to be so dumb, thanks nelson----------------------been looking thru threads for same problem got tired, but saw your name many times & excellent advice----------thanks again--------------------

·
Registered
2002 gmc sonoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nelson here, also when take off(auto tran) slowly with out making thumping or bam, bam noise lots of vibration on shifter till maybe 15 or more mph, then smothes out, thanks nelson

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
If the joints feel chunky or excessively stiff when manipulated, they need replacement... Philip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there,
I am brand new to the forums here. But I am the owner of a 2002 Sportage, and it seams to be under the same conditions that your is under. When under moderate to hard acceleration it makes a harsh clunking noise like something is smacking around in the rear end. I was curious if you had found a solution to your problem? I recently replaced the rear struts, carrier bearing and a u-joint. Thanks for any feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts