Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Rio LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2016 Kia Rio LX last week with 63,000 miles on it. It's in great shape but was just curious about the sportmatic mode because I've never had it on a car before. If I select that and forgot to shift letting it go to red line, would it auto shift or not? Forgot I was in 1st gear earlier until it hit 4,500 rpm (then it got quite loud!) and just thought it's a question worth asking. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,148 Posts
This is from the owners manual. Apparently it will shift automatically although I don't know why anyone would attempt this.
  • In Sports mode, the driver must execute upshifts in accordance with road conditions, taking care to keep the engine speed below the red zone.
  • In Sports mode, only the 6 forward gears can be selected. To reverse or park the vehicle, move the shift lever to the R (Reverse) or P (Park) position as required.
  • In Sports mode, downshifts are made automatically when the vehicle slows down. When the vehicle stops, 1st gear is automatically selected.
  • In Sports mode, when the engine rpm approaches the red zone shift points are varied to upshift automatically.
  • To maintain the required levels of vehicle performance and safety, the system may not execute certain gearshifts when the shift lever is operated.
  • When driving on a slippery road, push the shift lever forward into the +(up) position. This causes the transaxle to shift into the 2nd gear which is better for smooth driving on a slippery road. Push the shift lever to the -(down) side to shift back to the 1st gear.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Rio LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is from the owners manual. Apparently it will shift automatically although I don't know why anyone would attempt this.
Thanks for that, yeah I don't plan on ever doing it but just curious. On top of that I've been reading some posts on this forum and see some people saying if you want the most acceleration to just put in manual mode and floor it- it will shift at red line for each gear. At least I know it won't blow if it were to happen.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don't really think much in terms of 'acceleration' when I think of our Rio. Slowest of the three vehicles we own.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Rio LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really think much in terms of 'acceleration' when I think of our Rio. Slowest of the three vehicles we own.
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm coming from a Toyota Camry Hybrid so this is obviously much slower. Honestly, not terrible though for the size of the car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo
214 Posts
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm coming from a Toyota Camry Hybrid so this is obviously much slower. Honestly, not terrible though for the size of the car.
I live in the mountains and always use the sport shift. It seems the rio cant pick one of the 6 gears at times. When I have to cross the mountain in auto (D) it will jerk between 4th and 6th shifting several times on one incline. I just keep it in 5th and it pulls fine. Yes the car dose not have a rev limiter like a manual, it just auto shifts up to the next gear. The car will accelerate with WOT the exact same regardless of what mode because it goes to redline and shifts.

Peak trq is at 4500rpm so my 150kmi rio sees that regularly. Car still shifts butter smooth, and never have had any real issues with it. Factory red line is always very, very safe, and you will not hurt the car at all reeving it out.

On flat land the auto mode is just fine.

I bought mine new in 2013 and by you twos standards drove it hard it's entire 150k mi life in manual mode, been a lovely car. The rio is far from fast, but tbh has always had the power I've needed if I let it rev. Under load, shifting just past peak trq is recommended 4.7-5k

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
326 Posts
I never use the paddles because they turn with the steering wheel, which I hate, and the standard "D" programming seems to work good for my normal driving style.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
No one is talking about using the paddles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts