Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Sportage with the 5 speed manual transmission. The gearbox is currently stuck in second gear and will not budge. I noticed a very slight clunk when this occured. I had to drive home a short distance and did not notice any unusal sounds. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
so it's actually just second gear all the time? Like you can't shift out of it? or Can you shif out of it but can only go back into 2nd? Reason i ask is cause my buddy had a clutch go bad on him and he could take it out of gear but couldn't put it into gear unless the car was off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission is stuck in second and will not come out. The gearshift will not budge at all. The clutch is operable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It could be a linkage problem or a transmission problem. Hard to tell without actually seeing it.

You'll have to get under the leather shifter boot to see if perhaps the linkage to the stick came apart or is jammed. Unfortunately the shifter forks are internal to the transmission so if the linkage is OK you are gonna have to drop the tranny and find out what's going on. Sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts