Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so its time to retire our old van and buy a second vehicle for our family. As you already know I've had Sorento for year and a half and its been great so far.

Ive been shopping around and went through other main contenders, 2012 CR-V, 2013 Escape, sister of sorento 2013 Santa Fe, and after much consideration down to the last two: 2012 Sportage LX FWD vs 2012 Rav4 Base i-4 FWD.

Yes I know 2013 rav4 is around the corner but dont know whether we want to wait longer to purchase.

Advantages for Rav4:
Hella roomy. I cant emphasize how much space is in that little CUV. The back seat especially is amazing with sliding function. nice glass all around as well for visibility.

Trunk. nice low loading floor and refrigerator doors-I kinda like em.

Fit and finish. Yes the design is ugly, outdated but utilitarian, not going to deny its pretty well built.

Nice and easy driving, day to day bases, no problem.

Disadvantages

Boring, outdated, distasteful design makes you wonder if its really 12 years into 21st century. I laughed when I saw the brochure calling their steel wheel "styled"

4 speed tranny. Same thoughts go through my mind as above sentence. However, checked over the rav4 forums and fuel economy seems decent.

Road noise. Loud.

Advantages for Sportage:

I am Kia fanboy lol.

Looks good. Modern styling. Really like the instrument cluster more than anything, layout is pretty good with the center console.

More standard features than Rav4, heated seats, fog lamps, privacy glass, alloy wheels, projection type halogen headlamps, etc etc mostly to do with cosmetics

Less road noise. They sure did improve over 2011 models here. engine noise is well suppressed until you floor it. Its not unpleasant however.

More taught suspension, firmer ride, handling is a little better and I like the supple ride.

Disadvantages:

Fit and finish. mostly to do with easily scratched plastic on door sills, trunk sides, (exprience from Sorento, Sportage should be no different) lower center console side panels a little flimsy too. Havent experienced rattling during test drive.

Very drab all black interior. wish they offer more colour choices with cloth seats in Canada.

Less rear seat leg room. they need to start implement sliding seats.

Although I stated more standard features, I am still scratching my head why these arent standard as featured in Rav4: Trip computer, telescoping steering wheel (only tilt for lx) low windshield wiper fluid warning.

These are pretty much things I can think of. Probably going to lease this vehicle so resale value isnt a issue but, it does play factor with monthly payment due to end value. 2013 Sportage isnt that far off though.

What you guys suggest? More than welcome to share your experience.:)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
I compared those two also... Agree that the room and sliding rears in the RAV are sweet, and having Toyota reputation is good as well.

The Sportage won me over with the more modern and attractive styling (inside and out), good enough room, fuel economy, and the regular hatch (I can open it in my garage with the door closed).

·
Registered
554 Posts
I also compared Rav4-ltd/Sportage-SX

In specifications (autodata), Sportage adds the panoramic sunroof. Toyota adds 2 cylenders and another 1.5L, and is practically as efficient, although has less power. Rav4 is slightly more narrow, but also much longer and a bit taller. IIRC Toyota had a worse warranty, but is better known for reliability.

I wasn't as comfortable in the Rav4; dunno why, but I find Toyota vehicles uncomfortable for leg room. That's why I decided against the Rav4 personally. Other than what I listed above, they are both very similar.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX / 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
16 Posts
I think the sporty is much stylish and stable on highways (i have a 2012 LX 4WD) I gone for 106-110 m/hr... I really enjoyed it !! No rattle, a sound built vehicle, my friends slept nicely, and we took some footage without a milkshake :)) !

But next time I'll go higher .. (I reached now 4,473 m on my Odo).

My friend had a 2011 Rav4 FWD in black, he complained a lot from handling and sluggish maneuvering ... and family complains about ugly design.

In fact I found the sporty much roomy !! but not 100% comfortable (may be because I don't have leather seats) ... and by the way... the RAV4 is NOT MADE IN JAPAN !!

I suppose Kia is offering 7Yrs warranty in your area.. isn't it ?

Here we got 90,000 m only.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
IMO, The styling on the Rav 4 is dated, and will only start to look worse when the new design comes out, plus, it was a few thousand more then the Sportage when I last checked?

Also, I would think the Sportage is more comfortable, responsive, & exciting to drive then the Rav 4, especially the SX turbo.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Dude go look at the new Ford Escape!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Dude go look at the new Ford Escape!
IMO, it looks like a knock off of my Tucson, but with "fangs",,,lol
This redesign may be the best bang for the buck though? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I generally haven't given much thought to any American cars lately, but Ford is another story. My buddy picked up a new Focus, thing is loaded and I must admit, I am very impressed with the quality of the interior. Plus the bang for your buck is right up there with the best of them.

If the 2013 Escape was out when I got my Sportage, I would definitely at least took it out for a test drive. I love that power liftgate that opens when you wave your foot under the back bumper. Plus it has all the bells and whistles you could want.

Not sure how performance is on them though but if the OP is looking at a LX and a CRV then I am sure the Escape is right there with them.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
I too was interested in the new Escape but couldn't wait. After seeing them I'm glad I bought my SX last year because I'd have probably ended up in a Sportage SX anyway but with the slower 2012 version. There is no comparison...the Sportage is still by far the best looking small SUV IMO although the Escape likely has a better interior design.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Depends how you equip an Escape. It finished last in this comparison of under $25k small utes: SUV - New SUVs - Cars.com

Here it finished 3rd with an as tested price of $33k: 2013 Ford Escape vs., 2012 Honda CR-V, 2012 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2013 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Toyota RAV4 - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

I really like the new CX-5, but couldn't pass up the deal I got on a used Sportage.
It seems they castrated the new CX5 by not using the trusty 2.5 engine. If it had this I'm sure it would be a best seller. Oh well, maybe they'll wake up someday :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok guys update if anyone is interested, I ended up with neither lol. I leased 2012 crv ex instead. its a little more but got a good deal at least in canada.

I guess I gotta make an account at crv forum haha :)

I still have my trusty sorento though!

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
santa fe

the new santa fe seems to be the latest and greatest . would work for me as the sportage is a little short on room for my camping gear .

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
the new santa fe seems to be the latest and greatest . would work for me as the sportage is a little short on room for my camping gear .
you know the two biggest let downs during my cross shopping were the enw escape and santa fe.

exterior design were excellent, up to date but interior was sub par. Its a big change no doubt but just felt cheap and wasnt all that i hoped for in the pictures/videos.

for escape, the head liner moves (depresses) crazy. Why would you care about flimsy head liner you ask? well it moves just by pressing the dome lights and switches. also the sync system is terrible. its fancy but thats about it. ergonomic is pretty bad too because screen is more inwards and hard tilted to press two main functions on the bottom. lastly they made the instrument panel so tiny but the air vents on the sides are something you would see in a dump truck. its HUGE! first thing that jumps at you when you get in the car. :eek:

santa fe, first thing i noticed is the floorboard. especially pessenger side its so wobbly as you put your feet down- more closer towards under the glove box on incline. also the interior feels cramped. much more so than sorento and outgoing santa fe. probably due to flaring out center console and high belt line for the sporty looks and i was hoping they would add height adjustment for passenger seat but no avail. they did however add sliding rear seat but, nowhere near good as the rav4.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on a new car and let us know here and there how is the CRV.
I wont do a review because as njerald said theres no need because a) this is kia specific forum, b) there are plentiful out there.

Just gonna put couple pics to show it off :D

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Well no need for review,nobody here cares i understand that,just wanted to hear if you are happy with your choice,which you are it seems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts