Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2000 Kia 4wd in December; had very low mileage. Seemed like a great little suv. However, is it really normal for this vehicle to have to travel approximately 1 mile before shifting from 2nd to Drive. I took to KIA dealer ($75 for them to look at) and was told this was normal??? Have had put on computer at another car shop -- nothing shows up. With gas prices being what they are (headed up!), I'm not finding my vehicle to be very economical. However, I do love driving it!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, it's normal and designed that way. And the Sportage is not the only vehicle to have that characteristic.

It doesn't stay in 2nd gear. It shifts to 3rd gear and remains in 3rd until the coolant temperature reaches approx 155 degrees F. Once the coolant reaches that temp the ECM allows the transmission to shift into Overdrive.

The reason for this design? It forces a quicker warmup. But the fuel mileage penalty is minimal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Axe Man. However, my Sportage does not have overdrive. It is a straight three speed trans with no overdrive. Apparently the base models came this way (again, dealer comment).

At least I understand the concept now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Interesting. My shop manual...which covers 1998 and 1999 shows one automatic transmission used regardless of model.

Aisin Warner AW372LE with Overdrive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can someone please tell me what type of transmission fluid the sportage take think I'm running a little low and don't want to put the wrong fluid in. :haha:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts