Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try this again!

I posted this once, but it was either removed or it disappeared. Perhaps because I did not do an introductory post in the New Member section.

I have a 2013 Sportage LX with the 2.4. I bought it in 2014 with only 18,000 miles on it, and it currently has around 129,000 on the odometer. So far, it has been running fine.

I noticed about a month ago that under low RPM (say, 500 to 750 RPM), the engine sounds a bit like a diesel. This is typically when in slow traffic or coasting in school zones. When I am up to speed, the engine sounds normal. Other than smelling a little more gas in the exhaust when starting the car up, there have been no problems with my Sportage, and it runs fine (I hope that I don't jinx myself by typing this). I've been doing regular maintenance and oil changes.

I get paid this week, and will replace my spark plugs as it is time, as well as air filter. I will also pour some Techron in the tank while I am at it. I am hoping that the spark plugs change may help.

Is this normal for the 2.4? I've lurked off and on for a bit and have recalled a few asking similar questions. It does concern me, as I do not want a major repair, nor do I wish to be looking for another vehicle. I tend to keep my vehicles for a bit (I had a 2002 Dakota with full time four wheel drive and the 4.7 V-8...I finally traded it in when it had 210,000 miles on it. It would not pass inspection, or I would have kept on driving it!).

Also, do you all recommend any particular spark plugs? I was looking at NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs, but wanted to see what some of you who have more knowledge of the engine use.

Thanks for reading!

Jim

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
Some of the causes of this condition are improper fuel octane, engine overheating, improper ignition timing, the EGR valve not functioning properly and problems with the computer or knock sensor. All these conditions can cause the air fuel mixture in the cylinders to ignite before it’s supposed to. This creates multiple flame fronts in the cylinder fighting each other and causing the pinging and rattling noise. I would use OEM spark plugs .

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage 4 cyl. 2.4l FI
64 Posts
I have also posted about this. Was told it is just the way they sound. NGK is good plug. I just changed mine with Denso. The plugs that were in it were Autolite. And the gap was big. In the .0060's range. I have also had trouble codes pop up with CEL light is off but codes still remain. Haven't taken a drive yet since plug change since it was just yesterday. Going to check codes again when I do. Not sure if codes were related to gap in plugs or not.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
Let's try this again!

I posted this once, but it was either removed or it disappeared. Perhaps because I did not do an introductory post in the New Member section.

I have a 2013 Sportage LX with the 2.4. I bought it in 2014 with only 18,000 miles on it, and it currently has around 129,000 on the odometer. So far, it has been running fine.

I noticed about a month ago that under low RPM (say, 500 to 750 RPM), the engine sounds a bit like a diesel. This is typically when in slow traffic or coasting in school zones. When I am up to speed, the engine sounds normal. Other than smelling a little more gas in the exhaust when starting the car up, there have been no problems with my Sportage, and it runs fine (I hope that I don't jinx myself by typing this). I've been doing regular maintenance and oil changes.

I get paid this week, and will replace my spark plugs as it is time, as well as air filter. I will also pour some Techron in the tank while I am at it. I am hoping that the spark plugs change may help.

Is this normal for the 2.4? I've lurked off and on for a bit and have recalled a few asking similar questions. It does concern me, as I do not want a major repair, nor do I wish to be looking for another vehicle. I tend to keep my vehicles for a bit (I had a 2002 Dakota with full time four wheel drive and the 4.7 V-8...I finally traded it in when it had 210,000 miles on it. It would not pass inspection, or I would have kept on driving it!).

Also, do you all recommend any particular spark plugs? I was looking at NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs, but wanted to see what some of you who have more knowledge of the engine use.

Thanks for reading!

Jim
Maybe your muffler, or Cat, is clogged up, causing poor running, and gas, or exhaust fumes to build up in the engine piping. This happened to my Sorrento, I replaced the muffler with an aftermarket low-restriction one, have had no problems since then!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts