Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My 97 4x4 Kia sportage has been experiencing issues over the last 6 months.
When the car is in neutral, or in 1st with the clutch depressed it will continuously rev up, going over 3000rpms. Sometimes it will drop back down, but usually I need to put it in first and then ease off the clutch till the rpms drop, and not stall it. The check engine light would flick on and off randomly (perhaps not randomly but I have not noticed a relationship) while driving

This was happening on and off for a while but now it happens all the time.
I have cleaned the idle control valve but that did not appear to change anything.

Additionally it is now not starting. It cranks but does not fire. However if I pull the fuel pump fuse out and and crank it it will start and then stop when the fuel is burnt out. I can then put the fuse back in and generally it will start after that if I rev it as soon as it fires. Lots of black smoke, shuddering and smells like fuel. I assume it is too rich.

Currently I think these symptoms point to an issue with the throttle position sensor, telling the ecm to dump in more fuel.

Does anyone else have any ideas? O2 sensor has crossed my mind but I think it usually results in not enough fuel but I am not certain. Also the MAF or potentially a vacuum leak.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh some other info - air filters fine, radiator had been replaced prior to this starting due to a faulty thermostat causing it to overheat and blow (potentially linked?). Also while driving, everytime I would press in the clutch to change gears, would get a big surge in rpm till the next gear was engaged then back to normal rpms

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
These are symptoms of too high fuel pressure, do a complete fuel system pressure test (includes FI leak down)....

Next would be a full "LIVE DATA SCAN" ........ Philip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi aquanaut20,
thank you for your post. I will check that out when I can and report what I find. If it is too high fuel pressure what would need to be done/replaced?
Thanks!

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator and/or vacuum hose that controls fuel reg.... (they will show up during test, if at fault).... Dont guess!!

If you ignore this issue it will cost you a CAT, they burn and collapse under high fuel load.... Philip

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1995 2.0 Dohc
133 Posts
Check ALL the vacuum lines.
I thought all mine were fine, but when I replaced the top cover gasket so I found a couple more leaks

·
Registered
00 Sportage 4wd, 00 Sportage EX 4wd, 02 Sportage 2wd
175 Posts
A failed coolant temp sensor can cause similar issues as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts