Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't you know it? Planning on buying a new Sportage this weekend and lo the news of massive recall (38,000) of Sportages and Tucsons because of potential braking by ESP system without pedal effort. Damn!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do tell! Please share with me what you've heard. Kia, Kia dealers, Kia distributors , and NHTSA say there is a programming problem. Where did you get your info about a 5 minute software fix?? My Black Cherry is still sitting in a showroom waiting for me to get behind the wheel, but I am reluctant to do so pending some official word about what will be done to remedy the problem. Concrete information is sparse. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
We got the recall notice 2 days ago, along with a programming card, book time is 0.3 hors labour for the fix.
This is 100% concrete info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your info.........I hope that the info stateside is as prompt as yours in UK. I will call my dealer(s) and let them know how Kia plans to fix this....................they are
totally clueless. Granted that I am hot to trot for this little GEM, but I am very disappointed with the way that Kia has handled this over here. How can you not let your dealer network be at the forefront of an issue such as this which can be devestating in a new car introduction?? Shame!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

Newbie to the site.

4 week owner of new Sportage CRDI XS. I have not been contacted for a recall. Is this a general recall or specific to certain dates of manufacture?

Regards Gerry.
Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Welcome to Kia-Forums!

You will get notification very soon, if not, contact your dealer and they will be able to check on the system if your vehicle is affected.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not that I have special liking for Kia. But must compliment Kia integrity for so quickly going ahead with re-call for minor glitch seems that no one ever notice or reported. Kia even allows disclosure at such early stage of production which, perhaps not too many car producers will consider.

Out there, there are more serious design flaws that take many years if ever for other car manufacturers to consider re-call. Probably after too many owners openly reporting the flaws.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The recall was in the news before the dealers were even informed. None of our customers have recievved notices yet.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
I wonder if it's similar to the massive recall that GM put out several months ago on all their large vehicles... trucks... suv's... hummers... It was also brake related.

-GE
I bring good things to life!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, All

My first post here! Just decided to join the KIA family last week with sportage EX V6 and the delivery will be in 10 days. With all the excitement, suddenly see the message regarding RECALL :( Is my car going to be effected? i live in bc, canada, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Magic,

Your car should be alright as it is coming after the recall. It is only a 15min softwear upgrade so the dealer should have already checked. I had a recall about 1month ago, No probs. Just to make sure enquire of the dealer that the upgrade was done. Enjoy your Sportage.

Regards Gerry

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
Actually, if you just bought it, it might not be a bad idea to have the vin run. Granted, if you bought it used from a kia dealership, then you would think that they put the neccessary recalls on it. All it should take is a phone call asking if there are any outstanding recalls for your vin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts