Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I'm JesusFreak4Real!
Glad to be on this forum.

I live in Southern Indiana. I drive a 2000 Kia Sportage 4x4.
I bought it used, last fall, after my daughter killed my 95 Geo Tracker when she went deer hunting in it. However, she did get a 14 point buck.

I love my Sportage, however, I have been having some serious problems with it. A few weeks ago it just died on me while driving down the road. I pulled over and then turned everything off. It started. Then the next morning it did the same thing. Then the next day it wouldn't even start. I replaced the fuel filter in it and it started. Drove it 3 miles to the store. Was in the store for 20 minutes. Came out and it would turn over but not start. Replaced the fuel pump, still wouldn't start. Then I replaced the Fuel Pump Relay and the EGI relay. Now it starts but sometimes there is difficulty with it. Will turn over but not start right off. Let off the key and then turn it and the car will start right up.

Someone told me they thought it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor, another told me it is the timing belt (the hold light came on and flashed off and on for a day). I don't know. Does anyone know what it could be? Also, Kia wants $113 for a timing belt ($300 to do the work - including the belt). Found an aftermarket belt for $15 at PartsDinosaur.com. Does anyone know about buying aftermarket parts for the Sportage as well? I am leary about it.

Your input is most appreciated.

Thanks! :hyper:

·
Registered
7 Posts
im having a similar problem...but the only thing i can help with so far is the timing belt...which i dont think is your problem..but i replaced mine for 35 dollars got it from advance ....i did the work myself...that was the first time i had ever replaced one not hard at all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone on this forum cared.
Hey, is there anyway you can walk me through the steps of replacing the timing belt. I'm going to replace the water pump as well, along with the any belts that are removed in the process. Since they are being taken off. The tension/idler pulleys/belts and spring will be replaced as well. Did you replace any of those as well? Kia wants $300 just to do the timing belt.
I think we've probably solved most of the problem, except now there is a vacuum leak in the gas tank, because my mechanic (I thought I could trust) screwed up the seal on putting in the fuel pump. Beware if you live in Souther Indiana. I'm still working on that problem now.
Anyway, your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Vanessa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts