Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<_< my 97 sportage had a very rough life before me but hope i can reverse this with the help 0f kia sportage owners. i love the way it looks but my 4x4 front hubs are apparently shot. just one of many problems encountered. whats my best bet to repair this problem as my 4 wheel unit doesnt respond but will go into 4 wheel drive mode with no response ?? HOPE YOU CAN HELP, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, chances are the mechanical lockout hubs are shot. Probably from abuse. They will not withstand an engagement at high speed or they tend to wear out from alot of 4WD use.

The solution is to install Warn manual hubs. Warn part number 60247. These hubs are MUCH stronger than factory hubs and as an added bonus much cheaper. But the disadvantage is that they must be manually engaged at each wheel when you want to use 4 wheel drive. But you get used to that.

The Warn hubs are available aftermarket. For example: Advance Auto Parts can get them in 3 days and the price is about $103 for the pair. Don't let the clerk at the counter tell you they don't have them for the Sportage. They do...all he has to do is check his online catalog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D
Originally posted by Axe Man@Nov 2 2004, 12:47 PM
Yes, chances are the mechanical lockout hubs are shot. Probably from abuse. They will not withstand an engagement at high speed or they tend to wear out from alot of 4WD use.

The solution is to install Warn manual hubs. Warn part number 60247. These hubs are MUCH stronger than factory hubs and as an added bonus much cheaper. But the disadvantage is that they must be manually engaged at each wheel when you want to use 4 wheel drive. But you get used to that.

The Warn hubs are available aftermarket. For example: Advance Auto Parts can get them in 3 days and the price is about $103 for the pair. Don't let the clerk at the counter tell you they don't have them for the Sportage. They do...all he has to do is check his online catalog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:D AXE MAN, THANKS FOR THE QUICK FIX! Everything you advised hit the nail on the head and once more i will be able to show my sportage that there is light at the end of the rainbow. Again, we will be 4 wheelin thanks to you. By the way we have 2 inches of the white stuff on the ground in the southern tier of New York state. dzcook

·
Registered
1 Posts
for your information.

My 2000 sportage (I've had since new), also had 4x4 auto hubs give up on me one month ago.
Post Kia Authorised Service inspection: at fault was ruptured 'vaccum hose'. AUS$70 later (replacement hose & labour), I was back on line. Hoping to hit the Stockton Beach sand dunes, north of Newcastle, in the near future, once again.

Hope this helps anyone else out there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts