Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
MY13 Sportage Platinum Sat Nav. Petrol
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a new sportage my13 sat nav owner. I picked my car up on Tuesday. I am having issue with my sat nav. It appears it isn't activated because it isn't picking up a gps signal. The signal just keeps sitting there thinking. Plus another weird thing is that it keeps going to different cities in australia where im not located, I've also noticed the time on the lcd screen is way out of sync with my time.

What do you all suggest I do? I can't actively locate myself on the global positioning system its showing me in Sydney when im not. It also has demo on the screen when i try and search cities for my own city. I really think this is not activated, if anyone has had this issue please advise before I take it to my dealer service agent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't worry about what the issue could be. I took it to my dealership and the mechanic thinks the gps cable is not plugged in or could be a new sat nav for me.

I have it booked for service next week after owning it for only 4 days :D

ps: ill keep u all updated when it is fixed so anyone in the future who has similar issues can get it resolved.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Not getting the correct time is a sign that there's no satellite signal. Give the car a good work-out before you take it in, so they can address any other issues.

Don't worry, all will be well. What is your location? Maybe update your details?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wry, I am in australia. Yeah when I take into service I've got other complaints about the car that I will need to raise. When the car is driving it makes this weird noise like as if they're is gravel under-neath it. Kind of like if u get a tin and put small little rocks and shake it about. It always happens when im driving. Plus the brakes screech a bit too so i will need to get them to resolve that. I am a bit concerned about which petrol i should use for mine since its a 2.4 litre but i have been using standard unleaded.

I think thats all the complaints I have of my car, other then that it is a good ride. The petrol goes quite quickly. Had half a tank when i picked it up from my dealership and it did 265km city driving and i had to refill today. Put $40 in for 27 litres and it has it 3/4 full. If I wanted to get more in It felt like It would spill so I stopped at the first click of the pump.

Yeah so I am expecting a full tank will set me back $55 and will give me 530km of city driving. U think thats good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone has this issue. I just picked up my car from a local dealer mechanic and the problem is the gps cable is not plugged in and therefore will not pick up the gps system. My SAT nav is now working fine.

Another note: if you have the rattle noise going underneath your car while your driving take it into your dealership service centre because I had that issue and it turned out the air-conditioner was a bit loose and shaking about.

My car is all good to go. I am trying to familiarise myself with the SUNA updates and see how it effective it is, I've not heard wonderful stories about them but so far from my event log it has detected 6 road issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Australian mapping software seems to be very limited

Does anyone else in Australia with a MY13 Sportage with factory satnav have any concerns as to the capability and accuracy of the supplied mapping software and maps?

We took ownership of a Sportage Platinum with the satnav and, frankly, it seems a but "behind the times" with the look and feel, in my opinion, of the maps and navigation software.

For "new maps", it seems to be missing some obvious navigations points, has speed limit "anomalies" where there were changes made months to years ago, and generally, I am not sure that I'm happy that I'll have to wait a year before we get an option for a map "upgrade".

There doesn't seem to be any way to download and install additional voices, mapping colours, and options that the US-based units seem to have.

The single "daytime" and single "night time" colours aren't my personal favourites. The voices are limited and, when announcing instructions, seem to stagger on occasion if you're driving and it is trying to keep you updated.

Now, either I've missed it or there is a lack of "favourites" such as being able to set a "home" location (yes, I do use this when I'm travelling and want to find the best way to head towards home; eventually, when I get to a familiar road, I stop the navigation but having a "quick pick" would be nice.

I guess, for something that was "developed especially for the Australian market", older units such as the one I had in my Prado and my two handhelds (Tomtom and Garmin) seem to have been a bit more usable than the Kia platform seems to be.

Is this just my expectations exceeding the actual product's capabilities or is there some source of update that I've missed?

Happy to discuss if further feedback is wanted.

BTW. We are a two Kia Sportage family. One petrol and one diesel. It's just the satnav in the new MY13 version that has me disappointed.

·
Registered
MY13 Sportage Platinum
1 Posts
Sat Nav not working AGAIN!

Hi there, I purchased my MY13 Sportage brand new at the end of May. Not I'd only had it a couple of weeks when the sat nav and Bluetooth system became un-responsive. When I called the dealer they told me that they'd had this problem with some of the Sportage's and they needed to replace the entire media/sat nav unit. This took them a couple of weeks but I got a brand new unit.

Last week, the sat nav became unresponsive AGAIN! The Bluetooth still works this time so I can still use my phone and my ipod but can't use the sat nav.

Again, phoned the dealer and they said that Kia is aware of the problem and that customers will receive 2 free updates to compensate for the inconvenience. Left my car with them for 2 hrs this morning and when I returned to collect it they haven't done anything with it because when they attached it to the computer, the computer tells them that an update isn't required! Apparently all they can do now is go back to Kia and tell them, while I have to put up with a brand new car (just done 3000k) that doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

On top of that the hand-brake isn't working properly. I have just discovered that when on a hill, you put the handbrake on, take your foot off the brake and the car starts rolling backwards - AWESOME! And the sunroof rattles. Now I'm starting to get mad. :mad:

They had better sort it out soon as I'm beginning to feel like I've been sold a dud.

Anyone else had this problem that they tell me so many people are having???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have been having Sat Nav Issues with MY13 - March build Model Sportage Platinum. Would go to the start accept button and freeze, was updated by the long overdue software upgrade approx 1 month after purchasing. Then yesterday same issues has happened with the Sat Nav is freezing again. Have spoken to our local dealer in Bendigo who is investigating with KIA Sydney about. This is the second time in less than two months is becoming very frustrating and annoying. The Sat Nav may need to be replaced fully at KIA's expense if this continues to be an issue. The software upgrades do not seem to be working or are full of bugs prior to release. I am hoping that Kia will offer to new car buyers lifetime map upgrades as compensation for the continued Sat Nav isses. Come on KIA you need to lift your game. I don't have any issues with the car overall other than this specific problem, was one of the selling points as I understand they are an extra $990 compared to a Navi hand held unit with less issues for a couple of hundred dollars. Did try Mazda CX - 5 - Hyundai Santa Fei to name a few others in the market before settling on our new Kia Sportage as a new vehicle. Overall felt the build quality, fit out and onroad testing including value was the best at the time. Regards frustrated Kia Sportage owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sportage MY13 Satnav hanging

I've had my Sportage Platinum MY13 for 6 weeks and satnav stopped working for second time. The first time was only two weeks after i picked it up (it hangs when click 'Agree') - took to service centre who applied upgrade kit 12q3? it worked for a while (who knows how long?) but when came to use it today, same problem. so its back to the service centre again! disappointing to say the least.

Also bluetooth has been sporadic - not always connecting to my iphone when i get in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kia Sportage Sat Nav Problem. Won't save trip logs.

Has anyone had a problem with being able to save trip logs on the sat nav system in the Australian Kia Sportage MY13? Since new my Sat Nav will only record trip logs until the ignition is switched off. When you restart the vehicle the saved trip log is dated 01/07/1970 and has no data recorded when you go into it. Have asked dealership about it and have not had a reply from Kia Australia. I have also emailed Kia Australia with no reply forthcoming. Not sure if I have a faulty unit or is it a "bug" with the software. All other features appear to work fine.

Update to above, had KIA dealership finally upgrade my software a few weeks ago which not only rectified my problem above but also installed more features. Very pleased except now the map and gps features of the system have frozen when you press "Agree" to the terms of use before the mapping screens will normally appear. From looking on this forum it would appear other owners have also experienced this same problem with the mapping freezing a few days/weeks after having upgraded software installed by Kia dealership. Will be approaching the Kia dealership ASAP to see what can be done to rectify this problem. Will update when I have further information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my Sportage Platinum MY13 for 6 weeks and satnav stopped working for second time. The first time was only two weeks after i picked it up (it hangs when click 'Agree') - took to service centre who applied upgrade kit 12q3? it worked for a while (who knows how long?) but when came to use it today, same problem. so its back to the service centre again! disappointing to say the least.

Also bluetooth has been sporadic - not always connecting to my iphone when i get in the car.
Hi, I had no issues with the unit hanging until after I had the software upgrade installed by the Kia dealer a few weeks ago, then today I've experienced exactly the same problem as you have with the screen freezing when you go to enter the maps freature. It allows you to enter "Agree" but then nothing. All other features related to radio, CD and Bluetooth still work but nothing with maps, or any other features except settings button. Tried resetting factory defaults but still same issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possible problem with new upgraded software for Sat Nav in Kia Sportage.

Hello, I have been having Sat Nav Issues with MY13 - March build Model Sportage Platinum. Would go to the start accept button and freeze, was updated by the long overdue software upgrade approx 1 month after purchasing. Then yesterday same issues has happened with the Sat Nav is freezing again. Have spoken to our local dealer in Bendigo who is investigating with KIA Sydney about. This is the second time in less than two months is becoming very frustrating and annoying. The Sat Nav may need to be replaced fully at KIA's expense if this continues to be an issue. The software upgrades do not seem to be working or are full of bugs prior to release. I am hoping that Kia will offer to new car buyers lifetime map upgrades as compensation for the continued Sat Nav isses. Come on KIA you need to lift your game. I don't have any issues with the car overall other than this specific problem, was one of the selling points as I understand they are an extra $990 compared to a Navi hand held unit with less issues for a couple of hundred dollars. Did try Mazda CX - 5 - Hyundai Santa Fei to name a few others in the market before settling on our new Kia Sportage as a new vehicle. Overall felt the build quality, fit out and onroad testing including value was the best at the time. Regards frustrated Kia Sportage owner.
I recently had my Satellite Navigation system software upgrade done by the Kia dealership and at first I was very happy as it fixed an issue I had with trip logs not saving and it added further features. Unfortunately a few weeks after having the software upgrade I am now experiencing the same problem as you with the mapping screens not coming up as the system hangs when you press "Agree" to the terms of use. This never happened in the previous 7 months before the software upgrade. Will be approaching KIA very soon to see what can be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sat Nav unit replaced and now working

Fyi, the unit has been completely replaced and is now working ok - so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These things don't get plugged to a computer. If the settings button is held down for 5 seconds, the software details come up on the screen, stating what version of software is installed. The updates are then done via a USB stick, which takes about 30mins to fully install an upgrade. I have just picked mine up last week again from the dealer with the fourth upgrade in 3 months. I have escalated this problem to consumer affairs Victoria, who have confirmed kia are in breach of the sale of goods act and the motor traders act on a number of points. I suggest others do the same. I've been told each time by Kia this is the final update. I've been in constant contact with kia head office in Sydney as well, they simply can't rectify this issue and need to hange sat nav suppliers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with being able to save trip logs on the sat nav system in the Australian Kia Sportage MY13? Since new my Sat Nav will only record trip logs until the ignition is switched off. When you restart the vehicle the saved trip log is dated 01/07/1970 and has no data recorded when you go into it. Have asked dealership about it and have not had a reply from Kia Australia. I have also emailed Kia Australia with no reply forthcoming. Not sure if I have a faulty unit or is it a "bug" with the software. All other features appear to work fine.

Update to above, had KIA dealership finally upgrade my software a few weeks ago which not only rectified my problem above but also installed more features. Very pleased except now the map and gps features of the system have frozen when you press "Agree" to the terms of use before the mapping screens will normally appear. From looking on this forum it would appear other owners have also experienced this same problem with the mapping freezing a few days/weeks after having upgraded software installed by Kia dealership. Will be approaching the Kia dealership ASAP to see what can be done to rectify this problem. Will update when I have further information.
Went to the Kia dealership to have the software update reloaded as they said there was a problem with the uipgrade not loading properly and it will be OK once reloaded. Waited nearly 2 hrs for the car to be updated and then told that update was unsuccessful as the unit would not accept the licence number the dealership. Now told I will have to wait until KIA provide them with an updated licence number.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also got the same issue where screen freezes for map application after touching the 'agree' button. Have had for less than two weeks when it happened but have been just putting up with it for another week or so as I know a warranty / customer service nightmare will ensue and don't really have time to be going back and forth to dealership for such BS.

If any works out some sort of method for a hard reset I'd be interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I would outline the problems experienced with the Sportage since I took delivery of it a couple weeks ago as brand new.. Most if not all the problems have been with the entertainment/navigation head. It would seem that these are very common problems which is most unfortunate:

1. When pairing iphone only some 30% of my contact list transferred to the Kia as ther is an obvious shortage of memory within the head unit. ( have some 166-1700 contacts in my iPhone
2. When travelling for some time the air conditioning seems to pack up. Indications are that the fans are on maximum but no air coming out of the vents. It seems that the condenser is freezing up probably due to a faulty temperature sensor. One has to switch the AC off for 10 minutes or so before the system will resume until it freezes up yet again.
3. When trying to use maps and navigation one has to press agree after reading the legal stuff. Unfortunately after the first few days this system has completely failed and the legal stuff will not go away as a consequence one cannot use the maps or navigation at all.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage Platinum 2.4L
2 Posts
Good to see I'm not alone with this sat nav issue, well maybe. My sat nav freezes after hitting the Accept button. Had it fixed a couple of months ago with the service centre applying a software update, and it worked great until about a week ago. I'm starting to wonder if this is a hardware issue, as indicated by one of the posts here which had the unit completely replaced. Have only had the car since July. Have the car booked in to have it checked in three days time.

I generally like the car but biggest complaint is the fuel consumption - averaging 12.5 - 13.5l/100km which is astounding. Had I known about this I would not have bought the car. What's everyone experiencing with their fuel consumption?

·
Registered
6 Posts
re the fuel consumption, i have been astounded by the poor fuel consumption, also getting 12-13l per 100km. i went for the petrol version as only do short distances, but honestly thought the fuel consumption would be a lot lower as advertised and documented - 9?

when i first encountered satnav problems, i mentioned the fuel consumption to a kia mechanic who suggested i take the car for a 'long' drive so that the car's 'memory' could be programmed to lower consumption. as yet i havent been able to do this but its on my todo list.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage Platinum 2.4L
2 Posts
re the fuel consumption, i have been astounded by the poor fuel consumption, also getting 12-13l per 100km. i went for the petrol version as only do short distances, but honestly thought the fuel consumption would be a lot lower as advertised and documented - 9?

when i first encountered satnav problems, i mentioned the fuel consumption to a kia mechanic who suggested i take the car for a 'long' drive so that the car's 'memory' could be programmed to lower consumption. as yet i havent been able to do this but its on my todo list.
According to the Kia service technician, the fuel consumption figures are based on ADR 81/02 testing which is done in a lab under controlled and completely unrealistic conditions. In real world conditions you would not expect it to be as low. I brought it up again when I brought my car in for the GPS fix and he claims that after around 10-15,000 kms, it should have "broken in" and I can expect to have the consumption around the 11 - 11.5l/100km mark, which I still find ridiculous after claims of 9.2l/100kms on a combined cycle. That is more than a 20% variance on the claimed figures. :mad: Anyway, I'm keeping my receipts and record of consumption, and if the figures don't improve, apparently I can send it to Kia who can then conduct some tests.

As for the "long drive", I did that. I drove down south and travelled around 900kms, and on my calculations, the consumption was still unacceptably high at 10.5 l/100kms. All of this was recorded on the satnav fuel consumption tracker which was all lost when they updated the firmware!

Update on the GPS fix - apparently that morning, another car also reported the same issue. There was yet another firmware update which was applied and has fixed the issue for now, but he can't be sure that it will stay fixed. Apparently in one case they replaced the whole unit but then eventually the same thing happened again. So at the moment it would appear that Kia are at a loss. :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts