Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage LX 2011 2WD M6sp
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very disappointed with this. I am currently at 64K Km and i can't even do 500 km with one tank on the highway. I have controlled my millage for the last 6 months and i do an average of 10.3 to 10.5 l/100km. I am very well aware that i will never do the 7.6 l/100km advertised but i am very far from it. :(

I had it tested at 2 different dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. They are all saying they they never heard of a sportage this thirsty, they are saying i should slow down.... or change my driving habbits...

My habits are i get on the highway set cruise control at 118km/h until i'm arrived. I do somewhere around 95% highway, sometimes i just get out of the higway to fill up.

As far as customer support... i sent in a request for help 2 weeks ago and still no answer. :confused: (I received the automated email saying they will respond shortly...)

Anyone having same low millage?

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
you are driving too fast. Period.

118 km/h is not fuel efficient. Drop speeds to 105 km/h and you will see huge improvement.
Try it for one tank. Since you use CC, set it at 105 and go.

The best speeds are between 85 and 105 (km/h). Anything faster than 110 will start drinking gas like crazy. I see it in my Rondo. It is less tall than Sportage, not much, though.
If I keep it about 105 - I get about 7.5 l/100 km. If I drive 115 or faster - it jumps to 9.5/100 km or higher.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, that's the answer. At 100 km/h and above, the main drain on fuel efficiency is air resistance which increases as the square of the speed.

(118/100)^2 = 1.39; Compares well with you result of 10.5/7.6 = 1.38

I believe that highway economy figure is based on steady 100 km/h or thereabouts. My highway economy in various cars agrees with the advertised economy, and I travel at 100/110, with an overall average of about 95 km/h.

·
Registered
Sportage LX 2011 2WD M6sp
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I understand what is your point but i consider driving bellow 105 to be dangerous where the average speed is 115. Quebec's drivers are very dangerous... Sad to say but true. I have been driving at that speed and those same routes for about 10 years i do an average of 45 000 KM a year. At 118 you will never be stop for speeding.

Ok here is my point of view. All the car i rented had a way better performance then this sportage that has a V4 2.4l engine with a manual 6sp FWD. One of those rental was a journey V6 3.4l AWD it's'bigger in size but i could not tell if the actual weight is higher. I did an average of 8.3 l/100 km same speed with same material in the back (about 100kg)

All KIA told me so far is that i should have a 20% increase in consumption, this should bring me up to 9.2. They could not give me an explanation nor understand why i was doing this poor mileage.

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
KIA is I4, not V4, but this is only a small thing.
2.4 vs 3.4 - what transmission? other factors? mileage? yours is 64k, what was Journey?
Many other factors... you can't simply compare two completely different cars and say - hey, its engine is 40% bigger so I should get 40% less fuel consumption.

WRONG.

Engine size is not the issue here. It could be in the city, but not on highway when the RPM and air drag play main role.
Of course 1.8 will win with 4.2, but 2.4 and 3.4... not really.

As for driving 105 being dangerous. Funny you say that. I always thought kinetic energy increases with speed to the power of 2, but...
So, I would stick to RIGHT lane and keep 105. Just try it. Give it a chance.

20% increase? How? Based on what?
Knowing that you must drive 120 km/h I guess you do not coast, you do not accelerate smoothly... all in all - you waste energy (fuel).

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I love it when people try to make a case that driving faster is actually "safer". THEN, have the nerve to blame the car for fuel economy issues. Let me guess, you have to "punch it" in order to get out of other people's way so you don't get run over? Haha, classic.
-
Truth is, I used to drive like that. Guess what? Driving sensibly at a sensible speed not only nets you more MPG, but an overall more relaxing and fulfilling driving experience. The people you think will be "running you over" will actually be able to get around you easier AND you won't be traveling at their speeds and getting tangled up in their inefficient habits. It's all in your state of mind.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I love it when people try to make a case that driving faster is actually "safer". THEN, have the nerve to blame the car for fuel economy issues.
I tend to agree with this. The 2.4 Sporty isn't what I'd regard as a performance vehicle; I've driven a 2.4 around town, and it feels like a big Cerato 2.0 - adequate, but not likely to set the road on fire. I presume the Sporty would start to struggle once you reached 120 km/h, and wouldn't really be a suitable "weapon" for defensive driving (or should that be offensive driving?).^_^

Small engines aren't really at their best at speed in medium/large cars. The only figure I have for fuel consumption at higher speeds is 9.4 litres/100 km at a steady 130 km/h. Car was 3.8 litre V6 GM derivative.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
I like floor the gas to feel power of V6 from Rondo, I like revving engine to 5.5k in Elantra and hard shifts to just have fun.
I like speed... but I learned one thing.
I will not get any good fuel economy if I do that.

Occasionally I do. I do travel at 130 km/h. It seems very fast here (in the USA) although it is allowed speed limit on highways in Poland, not talking about Germany.
However, by doing so I am much more focused. More nerves, less pleasure (except the high speed adrenaline pleasure).

So, I did a test, a few times. I was traveling on weekends about 140 km one way (Friday night one way, Sunday night back).
I tried to go 105 to get as much as I could of fuel economy and a few times driving like crazy (uhm, safe driving, right?)
From Lansing, MI via I-69/I-75 to Rochester Hills, MI.
I-69 - not so bad, I-75 - much faster.

Here is is what I got:
I could achieve 5.6-5.9 l/100km at ~105 km/h with time 1H25M-1H30M
On the other hand:
I could achieve 8.5-9.0 l/100km at ~130 (max 135) km/h with time 1H05M-1H10M

So, I could save what? 15-20 minutes? Be more stressed and use about 50% more fuel.
Not worth it... unless you can waste 4 USD on fuel (it is about 8 vs 12 USD one way).
This is for Elantra 2.0 5spd manual.

Oh, those numbers come from ScanGaugeII, so you can trust them.

And I am not even talking about Rondo that is larger, heavier and more fuel thirsty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Move to The U.S. I'm getting on my 2011 LX 22mpg in 30degree f. weather! The colder the air temp the crappier your gas mileage!!!

·
Registered
Spectra 2006 (A/T 2000cc DOHC)
36 Posts
I'm impressed no one here asked about the maintenance of the car, everybody pointed to the speed even if the speed does not matter that much rather than the RPMs.

Some tips (clean is the key):

- Clean your gasoline. Use a octane booster (STP personal favorite) or injectors cleaner. pay attention to instruction at the back of the bottle.
- Clean Air Intake and throttle body. You can use Mineral Spirit. (not any flammable product)
- Replace air intake filter.
- Replace spark plugs with Iridium Bosch
- Replace spark plug wires with 8.5mm with suppressor system.
- Use recommended Oil viscosity according to the user's manual referring your wheatear temp (synthetic most likely)
- Pay attention to car temp. It shouldn't go too heat or too cold, right in the middle is where it likes.

And finally, do not depress the gas too fast, let it go as natural as you can. Don’t shift too late, in highways 5000 rpm is more than enough to the shift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts