Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and i just purchased a used 96 sportage 4x4 for $1500. The guy put in a new radiator and water pump for a good price, but not the timing belt(please dont be the timing belt).It seemed in good condition w/ only 122000 miles. Its seem to have been sitting for a while, but it ran great and didnt stall or even sputter even w/ AC running. We just filled it up 2days ago and she was down to a little less than half a tank on a curvy road and it just died. It starts but stalls out like no fuel comming in, even when pumped. Went for the cheap and easy 1st changing the fuel filter(9 bucks-2 hours, its tight in there) When i removed the filter the "gas" in it was rusty orange, very dirty. Got it back togeather and fired it up it took a couple of tries but it did start and run a little better than before but still stall out after a bit of running really rough. It seems like it wanted to level off but never did. I did some internet searching and found this site-WHICH I THINK IS GREAT!!
Im new here and not the most mechanicly inclined, but can grasp basic concepts and follow direction.
Does anyone have a clue what i could do next?
Ive read about the pump and tank issues w/ rust and gunk(i believe its been sitting a while so it makes some sense)
My plan is to try looking for the tank acess hatch behind the rear seat and see what i might be able to do; look at screen and tank consistantcy....
Any input is greatly appreciated and thanks to all who have offered up their problems , solutions, and information.:D:confused:

Also i want to change the plugs... can anyone offer info or pictures to direct me?

Again this is a used vehicle i purchased, and have no clue whats been done or needs to be done...
It does have a new catalytic convertor exhause system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the acess panel open and the cover off the tank, didnt disconnect hoses so i can pull it up, but looking in it looks pretty rusty; will try later today.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
Most likely the old fuel and rust is the problem, tank will need a good flush out and lines cleaned. A good site to check out for all KIA owners is www.kiatechinfo.com ,free to register and you can view online manuals in the shop section. Clean tank as best you can, add 1 cup of methylated spirits to next tank of clean fuel, it helps with moisture etc in lines. Rusty tanks etc are a pain, I used to do restorations and hot rods so you can imagine the things I have seen. Best of luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi...same as the old Mazda truck i was talking about in another post.
There was rusty gas comming from the fuel pump.I replaced the pump,but it only ran a day,,then the same thing.Sputtering,and no power.
Yup........same thing.Rusty gas,,from a vehicle sitting a while...specially with little or no gas into it..
Do like they say,,flush it out,and make sure its very clean inside.:)
glen101

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 99 sportage is doing the exact same thing! The dealership cleaned EVERYTHING out- pulled down the tank and cleaned it out too. Even cleaned and soaked the fuel injectors for 3 days?! I've had the car for 5 days now and yesterday it started acting up again. So, I don't know how much luck you'll have cleaning everything out. I know before I bought it it had to have been sitting there because the tags were over a year expired.

If everything was cleaned out so thoroughly why is my car all of a sudden acting up again? Should I have used a better type of fuel? Is it going to take a few full tanks EVEN though it was alllll cleaned out?

I'm taking mine back to the dealer (hope it makes it) on monday- I'll let you know what they say and do. PLEASE let us know if you figure it out:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as of now...

So......
I got the old out, its a complete mess in the tank. Lots of rust and debris; even found 2 pretty good sized sticks. The old screen was torn all down one side and full of rust and debris. When i removed it from the bottom of the pump the hole was slam full of trash. Oriely auto had the pump for $99 and the screen for $20 w/ warenty. I switched the pump and small hose inside with the new and had a time getting it to fit back into the tank properly seated. Finally, got it set and screws in, everything tucked and connected...........
Starting; it turns and turns but never catches and fires! Almost wore the battery down and don't wanna burn the starter up, plus night has fallen here.

So, i m stuck!

I'm thinking the lines have filled w/ trash up to the engine after disconnecting from pump assembly. i didn't replace the electrical connectors that came w the new because the wire ends were different so mabye i should follow it back w the volt meter........

My plan is now to disconnect the fuel filter and put a can down to catch fuel when i turn the car on to 1)make sure the pump is pulling and or 2) remove air from the line so it might start.
Does anyone know of a bleed valve or anything useful in that dept?

Thanks to all who have read my post and relayed info or shared experience.
My thought was that if i can get it home w the new strainer then to the shop for a tank and line flush that would be great.
Any ideas on a ballpark figure for tank drop and flush including lines?
:huh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today im pulling it to the mechanic who gave me a $200 estimate to pull tank and flush lines. I'm hopeing this straightens it all out. Wish us luck!

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
I think a good clean should work wonders. Best of luck with it and keep us informed. Aren't cars wonderful , they never cause any stress or expense. ;):)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sportage just died; fuel filter and or pump? Reply to Thread

Well.just cleaning a tank,with a cloth sometimes dosnt help.The old gas that was sitting in there hardens up,to a "crud",,and then flakes off,into your lines,,etc.
Most likely your lines are all clogged now.Your right intaking it to a dealer and getting a new tank/pump.
I should have done that with my Mazda truck.....its just sitting here now,still sputters,when started,,thats why i boutht this Kia Sportage,,,and its very hard on gas!!!.....What do i do to get it better on fuel?...I cant evan go on a joy ride with it!.Im seriously thinking of selling the Sportage and buying a tank and pump for my old Mazda,,at least i could drive that,,and could afford it. :(
glen101

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well- my sportage is back at the dealer and I think $200 bucks is a hell of a price considering I just paid $700 bucks at the dealer for the tank to be dropped and everything cleaned out. I REALLY hope this does the trick for you, as I said before my car drove like a dream for a whole 3 days and is now right back to where it started:( I'll let you know what the dealership says this time around!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the mechanic said the parts store gave me the wrong fuel filter and they couldnt get compression in the tank so i took the parts back and got new ones....
the shop said it would be ready this evening but then they called back and said the tank couldnt be cleaned and they ordered a new one...
im confused, its thursday. they said they would clean the tank and did and it would be ready. but now they say it cant be cleaned and i need a new tank.....
if they were so aware of my parts i.e. replacing what i replaced... why didnt they notice the bad condition of the tank and just say "youd prob. be better just getting a new tank".....................

pissed off beyond belief... the bill is touching $700.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
basicly im paying for a tank drop and clean that didnt work and any idiot would have noticed it would have been better off w/ a new tank....
confused and screwed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
WOW- that sooooo sucks!!!! There really aren't any honest mechanics out there!! Well, the dealer is still "diagnosing" my car (for 3 days?) and so far they seem to think it may be the 3rd fuel injector. You should DEFINENTLY stand up to the mechanic- it's NOT your fault that what he thought would work DIDNT. Thats what I'm going to be telling the dealership because that's bull crap. I didn't just pay them $700 bucks for them NOT to have fixed the damn problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
today they got the tank, and guess what... its worse than he 1st.
waiting till monday on the good word...
crossed fingers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well- final word on mine is that there was a misfiring on cylanoid 3 and 4 (since I had it) it's fixed, and the tank wasnt cleaned enough. So- it was pulled completly out and sent to be dipped in acid. BUT- my fuel pump is trash so that is getting replaced. $300 more bucks!! Good new though- the dealer gave me a rental car for free till my car is fixed!!!

I swear this car brought me bad luck- a streak of BAD luck for almost 6 weeks:( FINALLY coming to an end!!! So I paid $1,400 for the car and a total of $2,000 for repairs! Worth it??? We'll see.

Good luck- oh and the dealer didnt make me pay for them having to take the tank out again, or the re-wash, or the cylanoid stuff, or labor this time around. HEAVEN SENT!!! Jason @ Royal Kia in Tucson Az- is AWSOME!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All good stuff everyone; thanks again!
jacksonlygir... congrats, sounds like u got done right!
We picked up the car today and the bill was $837
The new tank was 150 and 225 labor
another 263 for lines and injectors, plugs and wires, and gaskets
then 13 shop supplies, 10 clamps, 20 fuel, 24 plugs, 73 wires, 40 gaskets, and 6 for trans fluid.....
Ill consider this issue closed!
The mechanic said in his 22yrs this was the worst looking lines and injectors
were just happy to have it back.
That brings our full cost on the vehicle so far to 2617
Next problem will be the noisy rear differential; heres where i pray...
And of course the need for new tires.

Thanks again all, good to be on the board; best of luck kia owners!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts