Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

I currently have a 2017 Sportage LX AWD and I’m considering the Hybrid and I have a few questions:

• Is the Hybrid available in AWD? (I’m in Canada)
  • Is the plug-in version better than the non plug-in one? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ordered 2023 Sportage PHEV X-Line Prestige
140 Posts
  • Is the plug-in version better than the non plug-in one? What are the pros and cons?
This is very subjective towards personal preference.

The HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) get better MPG than the PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) when running on gas.
The HEV is cheaper
The HEV is way more available/easier to get

The PHEV give you 30-35 miles per charge of electric driving* My round trip to work is 34 miles so that means my daily commute would cost me about $1.40 on my electric bill vs $2-$5 depending on gas prices. It goes about the same as one gallon of gas equivalence.

I want an electric car but don't want the hassle of charging when on a road trip so the PHEV is perfect for me because it fits MY wants/desires. If you want easy (no charging) the HEV is probably better. If you want EV most of the time* with no range anxiety the PHEV is better. If you want a full EV neither one is right.

*range dependent on many things including drivers lead foot and terrain. Also running the heater engages the engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) get better MPG than the PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) when running on gas.
The HEV is cheaper

The PHEV give you 30-35 miles per charge of electric driving* My round trip to work is 34 miles so that means my daily commute would cost me about $1.40 on my electric bill vs $2-$5 depending on gas prices. It goes about the same as one gallon of gas equivalence.

I want an electric car but don't want the hassle of charging when on a road trip so the PHEV is perfect for me because it fits MY wants/desires. If you want easy (no charging) the HEV is probably better. If you want EV most of the time* with no range anxiety the PHEV is better. If you want a full EV neither one is right.

*range dependent on many things including drivers lead foot and terrain. Also running the heater engages the engine
Hey, that’s great and very in-depth, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2023 Sportage EX Hybrid
161 Posts
Yes, the hybrid is available with AWD. All trim levels higher than LX have AWD standard (at least in the USA).

Pros - the hybrid has better power and fuel economy versus the naturally aspirated model. The '23 model feels nearly luxurious compared to the previous model.
Cons - it's a first year model with 2nd year powertrain (first debuted in the '22 Tucson and Sorento HEV). Mine needed the transmission replaced already, though that doesn't seem to be a common issue. One person here with a PHEV needs a new transmission, too. It's not easy to meet the rated fuel economy numbers, at least probably not until they're fully broken in.

·
Registered
2023 sportage phev ex premium ordered
15 Posts

The HEV is cheaper

In Canada we still get a federal rebate so the base phev is actually cheaper and comparable on features to the top trim sx Hev , not including provincial rebates in participating provinces

·
Registered
2023 Sportage SX PHEV on order
3 Posts
If you have the ability to plug in where you park the vehicle and drive less than 50 km between charging sessions than PHEV is probably best option.

If you have no ability to plug in where you park or typical distance travelled is >100 km between ability to fully charge then HEV is probably best option.

Some additional disadvantages of PHEV vs HEV:
  • less rear cargo capacity due to battery and electronics location which prevents dropping rear cargo floor several inches like is possible in HEV and ICE
  • only comes with tire mobility kit (slime) instead of temporary spare tire like available in HEV and ICE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts