Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4door 4WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sportage 4WD Auto. When then weather gets hot say 90 degrees and over the car will start to sputter like it's running out of gas and then die. Then after I stop and shut the key off it will start right back up, run good for a few miles and then do it again. Has a new fuel filter and shows no fault codes. Could this be a vapor lock and maybe fuel pump problems?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
What leads you to believe it is fuel related??

Have you checked the CAS, it is know to act up when hot.... Philip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It feels like it's running out of gas. But it could be electrical. I did replace the Intake Air Temp sensor. What is the CAS? Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'll check the out. I have the 2.0 engine nd live in SW Arkansas near Texarkana. Dave

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
I have a 2002 Sportage 4WD Auto. When then weather gets hot say 90 degrees and over the car will start to sputter like it's running out of gas and then die. Then after I stop and shut the key off it will start right back up, run good for a few miles and then do it again. Has a new fuel filter and shows no fault codes. Could this be a vapor lock and maybe fuel pump problems?
So, is your problem ambient temperature related? If the engine is still cold (not driven far) does the problem still occur? Any other details?

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Greetings,

Because of your location and current temps, in addition to any other tests, recommend checking, with engine cold,

that the radiator is full, and the overflow tank has sufficient coolant at the bottom of the tank / the hoses are in good condition from the radiator -> the overflow tank, the hose from the tank cap to the bottom of the tank..

(If it was me) I'd hook up an OBDII scanner and check the air temp and coolant temp sensor readings, this in addition to any other sensor / fuel system tests you do.. ( Rule out MAF, ECT, AIT, TPS sensors.. Check primary O2 sensor switching.. )

GottaCruise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts