Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'99 4WD 5 speed: Have clicking noise in right front hub... Dealer "says 2 days in shop, $800" What is big deal with hub? Can buy used hub for $40. Is it parts or is it labor? It seems to still work - Should I even care?

Second question: Are Kias made in sweat shop/forced labor prison camp conditions? It might matter to me....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Tell your dealer to stuff it and order a set of Warn manual locking hubs. Advance Auto parts can order them for about $103 for a pair and have them in 3 days. And if you don't feel confident about installing them yourself any competent mechanic can follow the detailed instructions included with the kit and install them in about an hour.

As long as your front wheel bearings are OK there should be no additional labor or parts. But have your mechanic check them. If alot of dirt and water got into the hub area they might be damaged.

Once the manual hubs are installed you can remove the vacuum lines from the back of the hubs and plug the vacuum port with a screw or something to seal it. Then remove the electrical connector on the vacuum soleniod which is located on the fender behind the air filter. Pull the electrical connector and tape it off.

You will need to learn how to use the manual hubs. For example, when 4WD is needed you need to physically lock in each hub by hand. They can stay engaged when in 2H but it's best to unlock them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I forgot to comment on your other question. Kias are made in South Korea which is a democratic society similar to Japan. You are probably thinking of North Korea which is a closed society and a communist state. The differences between North and South Korea are like night and day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts