Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sportage was diagnosed with dmf wear and required replacement at 45700 miles and on 59 plate. Who said Kia warranty was for 7 years. They said it was not covered under warranty as this is a wear component. So my argument is that this is could be noted as a design fault.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
As I understand it, DMFs are used in diesel cars to smooth out the power delivery, especially at low engine speeds; there are springs to even out the impulses, and these are probably subject to wear. Bad news for you.

Must say I am getting less and less enthusiastic about DIEsel engines. Never heard of a flywheel needing repars before; talk about progress!

·
Registered
2005 CRDI 2L Kia Sportage Manual gear box
3 Posts
Don't expect a reply on this old thread, but here goes anyway. I recently bought a 2005 2l diesel Sportage 4x4 with 5 speed manual box. 68k on the speedo with full service history. Clutch was replaced at 65k. Clutch pedal needs to be floored to cleanly disengage the drive. Either on pulling away or cruising a distinct metallic clatter can be heard. Can anyone tell if this years model has a DMF or solid flywheel, as this is what I think is the cause of the clatter.

·
Registered
98 Sportage, 07 Sportage, 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe R series
187 Posts
DMF are the work of the Devil, it is an attempt to make a diesel engine as smooth and quiet as a petrol one. Unfortunately they were pushed out into the market place before the technology was completely ready, and are far less tolerant of abuse than a normal clutch / solid flywheel. Your options are to replace with another DMF and try to be nice to it, or replace with a single mass aftermarket kit if you can find one. This will last longer but may not be quite so smooth or quiet.
People will tell you that a a SMF kit will do all sorts of bad things to your engine and gearbox, trust me this type of conversion is VERY common in Australia, and will only cause problems if the kit is not properly engineered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts