Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia has announced a recall for 2017 - 2021 Sportage and 2017 - 2019 Cadenze vehicles for potential engine compartment fires. The recall number is 21V137000 and it affects vehicles NOT equipped with Smart Cruise Control.

Here's a link to a story on autoblog.com: Kia tells 380,000 more owners to park their cars outside due to fire risk

Attached is a copy of Kia's defect notice sent to NHTSA.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
432 Posts
Thanks....... Mrs Rio Taxi drives one of these actually.....a Sportage. Calling the dealer tomorrow I guess.......

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer didn't know anything about it. The Defect Notice I attached in my first post says Kia plans to notify dealers on April 15 and owners on April 30. I have no idea what's taking so long. I hope Transport Canada is quicker.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Sorento SXL Awd 3.3L V6
4 Posts
Funny thing. My KIA 2014 kia sorento was towed two days ago to the dealership because my engine (v6) engine blew, head gasket and coolant mess. So they said they'd put me in a rental for duration of repair. Got my rental today, they literally took a brand spanking new 2021 KIA Sportage off the lot to provide to me for my rental. All paperwork is in glove box and price tag was in visor. Would ya guess this lovely rental has no SSC, so could potentially be a part of the recall. Ha.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
51 Posts
My dealer didn't know anything about it. The Defect Notice I attached in my first post says Kia plans to notify dealers on April 15 and owners on April 30. I have no idea what's taking so long. I hope Transport Canada is quicker.
The car can start on fire and Kia is moving this slow? That is ridiculous. I called the Kia CS group. That was a complete waste of time.

·
Registered
Sportage 2018 LX AWD with Premium Package
26 Posts
Kia has stated that to their knowledge there's been no fires due to the issue, so don't anyone panic too much.

·
Registered
2021 Sportage Nigthfall
25 Posts
I would just swap the 25A fuse myself and be done with it .LOL

Probably would cost a lot less than the gas to get to the dealer

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo 4wd
41 Posts
I have an appointment tomorrow for maintenance stuff. I’ll see what they say about the issue. I don’t know if the UVO app ever gets update with recall Info but nothing is showing up.

Anyone thinking of jumping ship from Kia. Owning a car that could potentially catch on fire, no matter how low the likeliness of happening, is something that I don’t want to have to deal with, especially if my son is I the back. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
71 Posts
Not thinking of selling my car over this. Its not a big deal really. Probably way more likely to wreck it in a crash than to have it catch fire from this. Plus any other car out there more than likely has its own issues. The grass is always greener as they say.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
432 Posts
My dealer knew about it, but no repair info.is coming to them until mid-April.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fix, according to the Defect Notice Kia filed with NHTSA, is to replace fuses. For my 2017 Sportage EX, the 40 Amp ABS fuses will be replaced by 30 Amp fuses. Other vehicle configurations get other Amperage fuse replacements.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo 4wd
41 Posts
My dealer says mine is clear. They seemed to be aware of the latest recall.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
836 Posts
what is odd about this recall, to my knowledge smart cruise control was not available on ANY sportage sold in the US in 2017. that means ALL 2017 are under recall?

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suspect so. Since Kia doesn't plan to notify dealers until April 15, I wouldn't put too much faith in any dealer's statement that my vehicle wasn't affected. I plan to keep checking the NHTSA website for updates.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It will probably be some time before Kia Canada will notify Canadians about the recall as well.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will probably be some time before Kia Canada will notify Canadians about the recall as well.
True. And unlike NHTSA, Transport Canada doesn't post recall documentation on their website.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage CRDI
53 Posts
Is this a gasoline engine thing? Is this recall only for America? I have a 2.0 diesel.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is this a gasoline engine thing? Is this recall only for America? I have a 2.0 diesel.
Each country has its own recall rules and procedures, so I recall in one country may not be a recall in another. As for gas vs. diesel, that shouldn't make a difference in this case.

·
Registered
2018 sportage EX
17 Posts
what is odd about this recall, to my knowledge smart cruise control was not available on ANY sportage sold in the US in 2017. that means ALL 2017 are under recall?
i was wondering why my 2018 EX didn't have have the smart cruise. i have every option available besides AWD . none have it sold in US explains it .

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Because I have a '17 SX, I was not familiar with 'smart cruise' - it wasn't available then. If it had been, the SX would have had it. So I'm automatically involved.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts