Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm buying a used sportage. 2002 or older are there any years better than others, which ones had less problems, which ones more reliable. Transmission auto or stick?? Any help would be nice.. Thanks Much..!!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by outdoorsman65@Jan 20 2005, 12:53 AM
Hello, I'm buying a used sportage. 2002 or older are there any years better than others, which ones had less problems, which ones more reliable. Transmission auto or stick?? Any help would be nice.. Thanks Much..!!
first Id get it stick as the kia trannys havent been the stongest. the manuals hold up really well though and the clutch also. any yr from 95-02 are the same motors same trannys so preaty much Id get one closer to 02!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
349 Posts
Stay away from 1995 Sportages. They are OBD-I and failures are difficult to diagnose.

1998 - 2002 would be best. However, if you get 4WD you will need to replace the front vacuum hubs with Warn manual hubs. They all fail and the best fix is aftermarket hubs.

Where do you get your info that Sportage automatics are trouble? While I personally prefer a stick shift my experience with other Sportage owners who have automatics is that the transmission is strong and reliable. It is an Aisin-Warner unit which is also used in Toyotas. You can't compare the Sephia FWD automatic, which is a POS, to the RWD Sportage tranny. Two completely different units.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by Axe Man@Jan 20 2005, 08:43 AM
Stay away from 1995 Sportages. They are OBD-I and failures are difficult to diagnose.

1998 - 2002 would be best. However, if you get 4WD you will need to replace the front vacuum hubs with Warn manual hubs. They all fail and the best fix is aftermarket hubs.

Where do you get your info that Sportage automatics are trouble? While I personally prefer a stick shift my experience with other Sportage owners who have automatics is that the transmission is strong and reliable. It is an Aisin-Warner unit which is also used in Toyotas. You can't compare the Sephia FWD automatic, which is a POS, to the RWD Sportage tranny. Two completely different units.
I didnt say sportage in particular I said KIA auto trannies are weak. From what ive seen.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts