Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 2L Petrol Auto 2012
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I need some help please. I have an ongoing issue that Kia are just not helping with. I bought my 2012 Sportage brand new in 2012. At the very first full service only 8 months later I explained to the Kia dealership there was an issue with the transmission slipping. They did the service and said there was no problem. The next service 10 months later I told them the same thing was still happening and they said 'there's nothing wrong'
This went on and on with every other vehicle service that was done (I stopped taking to the Kia dealership they were very expensive and not finding a problem) Finally, in 2018 my friend with the same make and year of manufacture told me she was experiencing the same issue and was told it was a problem with the ECU - which they then fixed. I finally got the Kia dealership they all of a sudden had information relating to there being an issue with that model and year of manufacture that was fixed with resetting the ECU. However, they also said that if it doesn't work then it will need replacing as it was a known issue.

It worked for a while and then the issue started happening again.

I called the Kia dealership and now am told it's at my cost to repair the 'known issue' despite me bringing to the attention of Kia since first purchasing the vehicle brand new from them.
They have said " As per our phone call Kia has unfortunately declined covering the new transmission ECU for your vehicle. Their reasoning being ‘Request for goodwill is declined as this request does not meet KMNz guidelines for a goodwill request." The Kia dealership woman on the phone said that Kia told her that a) my car was too old, b) the kilometres are high (true but so what?) and c) I didn't get all my servicing done at a Kia dealership.

My opinion on a, b and c is that none of those points are relevant. The car has an issue. The car has had an issue since the day I bought it. They had already told me it was a 'known issue'

I have asked for the contact details for Kia for me to talk with directly but they just aren't passing them on. I have also asked for the 'KMNz guidelines for a goodwill request' because this is nothing I have ever seen or have knowledge of.

Despite their internal guidelines for goodwill - surely it should not be at my cost for a known issue that has been evident since I first purchased the vehicle brand new?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts
If you have written record of you bring the transmission to their attention, and their response, you may stand a chance if you use that in a written request to Kia making it clear that you expect them to honour the warranty, and if they don't respond favorably you'll take it to the small claims court and the press.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have written record of you bring the transmission to their attention, and their response, you may stand a chance if you use that in a written request to Kia making it clear that you expect them to honour the warranty, and if they don't respond favorably you'll take it to the small claims court and the press.
Thanks - yes I have it written on the Kia dealership service history that I mentioned the fault to them right back when I first purchased. I think small claims is possibly the next place to go if they continue to dig their heels in . Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
Any update? Positive in favor of the OP hopefully?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi - yes the update is that they have agreed to fix at their cost. It was better to go direct to Kia than the agent as that got me nowhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts