Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 mechanics have suggested my Kia has an electrical problem, but couldn't say how to fix. One (not Kia) said I need a new left turn signal switch ($275) and $40 labor. Shouldn't a Kia service dept be able to trace the problem?

$186k miles.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Could be a bad turn signal switch or a more common problem with corrosion in the turn signal bulb sockets, the wiring harness corrosion problem, or a bad ground problem...
What is your car doing?
No turn signal at all?
Rapid flashing turn signal?
Only front (or rear) bulbs working?
You can find parts also at RockAuto.com and also at your nearby friendly junk yard (car-part.com) for much less than at a dealer...
You need to find an honest independent mechanic (as friends for referrals to their great mechanics).

Wiring information is available to your mechanic at kiatechinfo.com by visiting and registering (free).

To successfully get on you will need...
1 a Windows (XP/Vista/7) computer
2 Internet Explorer (ver 8 or higher)
3 Adobe SVG (scaled vector graphics) plug in (also free and linked to on Kia's site)
installed..

We are here to help if you have someone to do the "dirty" work.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.

The light freezes and won't blink. I'm told the flasher is fine because the right one works ok. Both times leaving the garage the mechanic said the left turn was blinking 'slowly' but at least blinking. I drove 30 feet and found it frozen again. Once a day it might blink.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Physically look at both left turn lights front and back and compare the brightness levels with the right side lights. This can give us a clue to where the problems are.
Put your emergency flashers on and see if they work OK and the brightness of the lamps are the same.
A corroded connection usually causes a fast flash and weak (or no) light output on one bulb. Same with a bad bulb that won't light... Did you reciently replace any of these bulbs as the wrong type can cause problems also.
Here's a good link.
TROUBLESHOOTING BASIC TURN SIGNAL AND FLASHER PROBLEMS
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts