Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...
So I own a 2001 sportage.. It has given me no issues and I'm enjoying it. 1 issue I do have is the van is extremely under powered. Without load it still struggles to speed up on hills or just generally .. Is there anything I can do to improve this . Is this normal with these vans to be as under powered as it is.. Please help.
Much appreciated..

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,699 Posts
Hopefully it is correct now?
At last.

A 2.0L is not going to feel very powerful in this vehicle, but that is subjective and personal opinions will vary.

Struggles on hills - there's no way of us knowing what incline etc., and yes, it will struggle on very steep long hills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. It's a very gradual up hills. I have read many forums where guys say this vehicle feels under powered. I just came back from a full diagnostic test and all is well. So I guess it's normal. I probably just need to get used to gearing down up hills. Do you know where I could find any info on small mods that could be done to increase power or am I wasting my time. Your advise is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
When I had the Sportages here, removing the mechanical clutch fan, and replacing w/ an electric fan setup, was the (1) mod. that offered the most gain in driveability, especially w/ uphill climbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for that info. Is it a quick change or does it require proper mechanical knowledge. The most mechanical thing I did on the van was remove my gearbox and refit.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,886 Posts
Another"power robber" is IF you have mounted taller and wider tires and rims than OE equipment. Yes these year vehicles are lacking in the HP department, but big wheels will rob the on the road power feel in seemingly slower acceleration and dropping speed on hills.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
Greetings Shaafee,

It's been awhile, and I don't have the 1G Sportage(s) anymore ( rust, sigh ), but these threads should give you a general idea of what's involved:

re: mechanical ability - if you refit a gearbox, removing the mechanical clutch fan & bracket, removing the radiator and fitting an electric fan to the assembly, some basic electrical wiring, and re-installing radiator / fan / shroud, w/ short belt ... should be well within your skill set.

edit: link to some pics of the SPAL electric fan install I had done.

Regards, GottaCruise

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
166 Posts
Installing an electric fan is easy, just make sure when you install the conroller, if it uses the radiator temp probe, mount the probe low in the radiator. If mounted too high or near the top, the fan will run the moment the thermostat opens and will stay running, ask me how I know. After moving the probe down low, mine only comes on if sitting for awhile then shuts off after driving for a few minutes.

2001 Kia Sportage Limited 2X2 USA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the help and information. Will definitely give it a go when the funds are ready

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
1 Posts
Not running the a/c when going up a hill helps. Also my sons Sportage had a real power issue going up a hill and turned out to be the hood insulation was setting over the air intake and sufficating the engine. I cut out the area of insulation that was over the intake and right away got back all the power plus some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank so much for that.. Very interesting that you said that. Since I have the van I've been saying that this bonnet insulation seems to thick like it's restricting air. And now that you mention it aswel definitely going to cut away. Thank again for all the helpful tips

1 - 12 of 12 Posts