Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall this happen before today. Woke up this morning headed off with the plans. When I got in the car turned the key something was different and couldn't figure out what it was.

Drove off. Got to our destination and left the card for about two hours. Got back in, turned the key and I noticed it locked all my doors. I have never seen it do this.
Had a quick turn around at home before I had to pick up some kids. I turned the key, car started kind of strange, but again all the doors locked.
I wonder if that always happens. So I turned the car off, and tried to start it again. Nothing but clicking. All the dashboard lights are on, but just clicking. (Sounds like a battery issue) I call my dad to come over so I could get a jump.
I look online, see if the clock or lights are out. Clock still set the same way.
I looked to see if any fuses were burned. Didn't see anything, battery looked fine.

My Dad gets over. We are trying to figure out where to put his car. I go into my Kia and turn the engine on, it barley starts up. (like just enough juice to get the engine started).

Pick up the kids, then I head over to Auto Zone and they test it. The guy tests the battery, but I could tell he was confused. It didn't say fail, just was showing 3volts I think he said. He did it again. He then had me test the alternator. It started each time, but seems like its only barely starting.
He tells me the alternator is fine. He said looks like the battery is just low. Maybe you had a door open or something that drained it. (I can't think of anything, but I do wonder when I was gone for 2 hours if something happen).

So I am now driving it around. It starts every time, but only just barely. Also my doors automatically lock when I start it. I don't think mine has that feature. I can't find anything about it in the manual.

Any idea?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
It would be very helpful if you could fill out your vehicle and location details i your profile. as features such as auto door locks etc vary from different models and the specific markets.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Hi!
Try putting your headlights on before cranking the engine... Do they dim or go out completely? If they do then you have a weak battery, discharged battery,or bad battery connection caused by corrosion. Connection problems (usually corrosion) at the battery or where the battery leads connect at their other end can cause your poor (barely starting). I would have someone who "knows how" like SEARS check your battery also. They may be able to check the total charging system and pinpoint your problem if it has to do with the battery/alternator/belt or simple connection problems.

The door locking, slow cranking, are signs of low voltage from one of the above causes. The clock and dome lights may still be fully operational "if" the corrosion is located away from the main battery wires like a loose wire at the starter, fuse box wiring problems.
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
Most likely battery. I had an Advance Auto test/charge/retest my battery and tell me the battery is good. I replaced the battery the next day, and have not looked back. Battery was the problem all along. i had different circumstances than you, but my point is, the battery tester at these parts stores is a crap shoot, not a fact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts