Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my 2005 Sorento LX with a 3.5l 5spd automatic trans. It has the sportronic slots to allow me to manually shift up and down the gears.

The problem I have is that when at a stop it will not allow me to shift to second gear for better traction in slippery conditions. Now I used to sell KIA's and have driven plenty of Magentis (in Canada Optima's for US KIA) and this feature worked flawlessly.

Now I have yet to bring it back to the daler to get it checked out. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what if any remidy was offered?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Manual mode will not allow you to start going in 2nd gear, it is not a malfunction.

Do you have a 4wd Sorento? If slippery just engage 4wd for start going and disengage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is 4x4. That's all they sell here is Canada. But the thing is the owners manual says it's possible to start off in second from a stand still. :(

That and like I said other KIA's I've driven with the same feature work that way. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the same thing with their '05 Sporento.

Either way I'm going to have the dealership look at it the next time I have to have the oil changed.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
i just tried my 05 automatic in manuel mode it will only start in first, also assoiated with that operation even when you upshift manualy it will always AUTO downshift through the gears to first when comming to stop in manuel mode

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you are descibing is correct while at a stop. It will shift down to 0 so as to not lug the engine. What I will do is get it checked out at the dealership and post on how I made out. I found it a really nice feature to have so as to not have to engage 4wd unecessarily.

I will also check another one of the modles on the lot and see if that prooves anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts