Kia Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
84 Posts
Hello All,

Vehicle: 2021 Sorento SX

I've had vehicle for only 2 months and 1 day. So far I'm enjoying my vehicle EXCEPT for this issue I've experienced twice since ownership (once last month Feb and yesterday 23 March).

Scenario: In traffic at a stop either needing to make a turn or just accelerate forward. Accelerator does not respond to the pressure being applied and the vehicle barely moves even with pedal nearly to the floor (like crawls 1-2MPH) to get across the intersection and then it suddenly performs as if nothing happened. This is very dangerous as the vehicle is almost practically stalled and all you can see is oncoming traffic approaching... Wondering if perhaps the engine auto-shut off at stop gets confused or drive by wire technology / sensor for this vehicle is funky?

Not sure if anyone has experienced this. Unfortunately, not a simple issue to replicate and unsure of the methods for scanning and obtaining diagnostics.

Dealer hasn't heard of the issue yet, so I'll have to take it in, but thinking this could pop up on other vehicles. Very scary and very dangerous.

Cheers
Is anybody else wondering how this is all going to look when the snow flies in a few months? Yikes! I’m starting to wonder if this issue is the traction control (I understand that a TC alert pops up) or a pedestrian avoidance issue (thinking it sees a pedestrian). I truly have no idea; I’m just pondering the possibilities.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
61 Posts
I had this happen to me five times about the first 4 months of ownership. Then I read this forum and picked up on sharp turns accelerating from a stop. So I started making wider turns and have not had the issue since. Also I updated the software. Either way I haven't had that scarey event happen again.
My experience, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX
1 Posts
Hello All,

Vehicle: 2021 Sorento SX

I've had vehicle for only 2 months and 1 day. So far I'm enjoying my vehicle EXCEPT for this issue I've experienced twice since ownership (once last month Feb and yesterday 23 March).

Scenario: In traffic at a stop either needing to make a turn or just accelerate forward. Accelerator does not respond to the pressure being applied and the vehicle barely moves even with pedal nearly to the floor (like crawls 1-2MPH) to get across the intersection and then it suddenly performs as if nothing happened. This is very dangerous as the vehicle is almost practically stalled and all you can see is oncoming traffic approaching... Wondering if perhaps the engine auto-shut off at stop gets confused or drive by wire technology / sensor for this vehicle is funky?

Not sure if anyone has experienced this. Unfortunately, not a simple issue to replicate and unsure of the methods for scanning and obtaining diagnostics.

Dealer hasn't heard of the issue yet, so I'll have to take it in, but thinking this could pop up on other vehicles. Very scary and very dangerous.

Cheers
This is an ongoing issue that Kia is aware of. It has to do with the new type of transmission they switched to for the 2021 Sorento. They were using a dual clutch transmission now they are using a wet clutch transmission. This is the reason for delayed acceleration from a dead stop. It is also the reason many customers, including myself, have had the transmission replaced. I have 8500 miles on my Sorento and it has been at the dealership for a month and a half already.
My daughter was driving it down our street when it suddenly stopped moving. Like it slipped out of gear. The vehicle was still running but it would not go into gear. Thankfully she was not on the freeway when this happened. It is a very dangerous issue that Kia needs to acknowledge and fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is an ongoing issue that Kia is aware of. It has to do with the new type of transmission they switched to for the 2021 Sorento. They were using a dual clutch transmission now they are using a wet clutch transmission. This is the reason for delayed acceleration from a dead stop. It is also the reason many customers, including myself, have had the transmission replaced. I have 8500 miles on my Sorento and it has been at the dealership for a month and a half already.
My daughter was driving it down our street when it suddenly stopped moving. Like it slipped out of gear. The vehicle was still running but it would not go into gear. Thankfully she was not on the freeway when this happened. It is a very dangerous issue that Kia needs to acknowledge and fix.
The 2021 Sorento uses a dual-clutch transmission that uses wet clutch packs. ;)

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
133 Posts
they kept promoting the transmission in the reviews I read prior to purchase and I don’t know what it means. But now that it’s doing this crap I’m not sure I want to know. They just need to fix it because someone WILL get hurt. I’ve been caught in some near hits because of it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
they kept promoting the transmission in the reviews I read prior to purchase and I don’t know what it means. But now that it’s doing this crap I’m not sure I want to know. They just need to fix it because someone WILL get hurt. I’ve been caught in some near hits because of it.
I am certainly sympathetic to your valid concerns, but I suspect most of these are software/ control issues rather than component issues. Agreed; they need to fix it. It would be great if Kia had somebody in their organization monitoring these forums, so they would have their finger on the pulse of issues as they come up.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
Just had my first service and they could not replicate, nor did they want me to show them since I can do it whenever I want. They also put in the right oil, good work!

The service guy (not one of the test drivers) that assisted me stated, his opinion, he knows exactly what I was talking about and said his Sportage AWD does the same thing. He followed up with, thats just how it is. Great…

I guess I’ll get a dash cam for when this gets me in an accident. The worst part about this problem is that it occurs even when you’re not pulling out quickly (cutting someone off), but it makes you cut someone off because the car won’t accelerate. A freaking Power Wheel could merge into traffic better than this sometimes.

Reactions: gustafson

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
61 Posts
Just had my first service and they could not replicate, nor did they want me to show them since I can do it whenever I want. They also put in the right oil, good work!

The service guy (not one of the test drivers) that assisted me stated, his opinion, he knows exactly what I was talking about and said his Sportage AWD does the same thing. He followed up with, thats just how it is. Great…

I guess I’ll get a dash cam for when this gets me in an accident. The worst part about this problem is that it occurs even when you’re not pulling out quickly (cutting someone off), but it makes you cut someone off because the car won’t accelerate. A freaking Power Wheel could merge into traffic better than this sometimes.
If I were you I would see the dealer manager and demand they test drive with you because it's a safety issue. Or go to the dealer owners office.
My service said they would accompany me on a test drive if I could duplicate it. However I can't duplicate it. Happened 5 times. I've tried to duplicate without success.
Thanks for trying.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I think I’d report it to NHTSA. I think the manufacturer is required to address reported safety concerns.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX
5 Posts

They have to accept driving with you to replicate the problem as long as they cannot replicate it. It is your complaint and they have to investigate the issue.
Go talk to the manager and if no success, make a complaint to Kia Customer Service about that service.

Regarding the dash camera, just keep in mind if you enter into the traffic and an accident is happening, it is still your fault if you cannot prove the car did not accelerate because of the issue. For this case, you better have another camera monitoring the cluster to record the lights in the dashboard when issue occur. Do not forget what many said on this thread .... nothing is logged into the system when this issue is happening.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
If I were you I would see the dealer manager and demand they test drive with you because it's a safety issue. Or go to the dealer owners office.
My service said they would accompany me on a test drive if I could duplicate it. However I can't duplicate it. Happened 5 times. I've tried to duplicate without success.
Thanks for trying.
I think I’d report it to NHTSA. I think the manufacturer is required to address reported safety concerns.

They have to accept driving with you to replicate the problem as long as they cannot replicate it. It is your complaint and they have to investigate the issue.
Go talk to the manager and if no success, make a complaint to Kia Customer Service about that service.

Regarding the dash camera, just keep in mind if you enter into the traffic and an accident is happening, it is still your fault if you cannot prove the car did not accelerate because of the issue. For this case, you better have another camera monitoring the cluster to record the lights in the dashboard when issue occur. Do not forget what many said on this thread .... nothing is logged into the system when this issue is happening.
NHTSA complaint filed. I also included that they declined my offer to replicate the problem. Who has filed a complaint besides me? It'd be nice if we could try and all file a complaint...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am certainly sympathetic to your valid concerns, but I suspect most of these are software/ control issues rather than component issues. Agreed; they need to fix it. It would be great if Kia had somebody in their organization monitoring these forums, so they would have their finger on the pulse of issues as they come up.
What makes you think they are not? Not saying they are because I don't know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
NHTSA complaint filed. I also included that they declined my offer to replicate the problem. Who has filed a complaint besides me? It'd be nice if we could try and all file a complaint...
I hardly drive my 2021 SX (only 1,000 miles since new in February) because I got it as a last new vehicle before I retire and want it to stay new forever; we mostly drive our 2012 Sorento. I said that because I've only noticed this once with mine, and it was basically when I was making a sharp right turn from a stop at an intersection, and I was aware of a bit of gravel on the road. It only cut out for a second or two, and I saw the traction control icon flash, which is about what I'd expect as normal. If what others have experienced happens to mine, I'll certainly file a complaint. We're taking the 2021 on a couple-thousand-mile trip next month; I'll post any observations.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I only know of one manufacture that did and only on one model. Both are gone now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone who submitted a Fereral Safety or KIA customer support incident report received a response obout the complaint?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
Has anyone who submitted a Fereral Safety or KIA customer support incident report received a response obout the complaint?
I have not, but I believe I was the last to do so (on Kia-Forums anyway). I'd suggest anyone who has experienced this follow the link in Post # 129 above. I included my dealership service department's response of not being able to replicate and not accepting my offer to recreate it for them.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts