Kia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
3 Posts
Has anyone received a fix from the dealer regarding this? I have 1200 miles on mine and I am noticing this issue.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
133 Posts
I just turn traction control off. so now I have to turn off 2 things every time - the auto stop feature and traction control.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
3 Posts
I just turn traction control off. so now I have to turn off 2 things every time - the auto stop feature and traction control.
I have a call into Kia and am waiting for a callback.. around tomorrow. I wonder if they have created a fix for this??

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige Xline, Aruba Green Ext/Rust Int
60 Posts
This happened to me the other day. Going onto the highway just a small gradual hill. Power cut out big time and it felt like it was going to stall out or something. TCS light was blinking. Lasted for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yup & imagine a another car barreling down the highway unaware that you’re in this predicament and they don’t stop in time. It’s dangerous. I just turn off traction control to avoid it. It always happened to me at the most inopportune time.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
61 Posts
yup & imagine a another car barreling down the highway unaware that you’re in this predicament and they don’t stop in time. It’s dangerous. I just turn off traction control to avoid it. It always happened to me at the most inopportune time.
Whats the disadvantage of not having traction control for you.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
3 Posts
I have an appointment August 2nd for this issue at the dealership. I will let you all know what the diagnosis is... they most likely will not be able to replicate the issue, lol.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
61 Posts
Whats the disadvantage of not having traction control for you.
I turn mine off now along with the engine stop button.
Pain.
So anyway what's the pros and cons of not having traction control.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line, Aruba Green, Rust Interior
33 Posts
I turn mine off now along with the engine stop button.
Pain.
So anyway what's the pros and cons of not having traction control.
If you look in the manual, there's two stages of disabling the T/C.
1. Simply pushing the button disables the engine T/C, which is what is the concern here.
2. Pushing and holding the button for at least 3 seconds disables engine traction control AND brake traction control; I think a chime activates if you do this.

From what I understand, there's no reason to ever disable brake T/C. Brake T/C applies the brake to a spinning wheel so that the power can flow to other wheels that (hopefully) have traction. With the open differentials on these cars, power will take the path of least resistance, so all engine power will flow the spinning tire unless brakes are used to stop it from spinning so freely.

Engine T/C on the other hand can be useful to disable. For instance (this was in my old Dodge Charger RWD), I had to disable traction control during a particularly bad ice storm. With T/C enabled, the car detected wheel slippage and killed all power, so the car didn't even try to move. By disabling T/C, engine power was maintained and I was able to spin the tires enough to get traction (or melt enough ice to get traction). Also, if you need to gun the engine to merge into traffic in a left-hand turn or something, the car isn't going to bog down on you because the inside wheel is spinning. On the downside, you're increasing the chance of wearing your tires unevenly, and you have to be more aware of your throttle management in adverse conditions. I think engine T/C will detect if a wheel is slipping due to hydroplaning, cut power, and help you maintain control. If you disable T/C, that type of instantaneous throttle management is on you if you hit a slick spot in the road at speed.

I'm still surprised by the number of people with AWD experiencing this. I knew the FWD only models to have this problem (300+ ft-lb of torque is a lot for just the front wheels), but the only time I ever experienced hesitation in my X-Line was because I didn't realize the auto-engine shutoff had engaged. I can force the traction control to engage if I make a harder than normal acceleration from a stop and a tight turn, but it wasn't that bad, but I'm surprised I haven't really experienced this problem myself after 3,700 miles. Hopefully Kia does do some reprogramming to get this cleared up. I does sound like they have something wonky with the traction control system and needs to be fixed. There's too many here with this issue that there must be something going on.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
I've experienced the issue of this post but experienced a similar issue in another situation. I was at a stop sign of a 3-way intersection where cross-traffic does not stop and a vehicle had its' blinker on to turn in my direction, but at the last second (after somewhat turning, since I don't trust people) decided it wanted to go straight and the collision detection system kicked in. After said car passed I could have pulled out but was prevented in a similar way as the traction control turning issue we're experiencing. The car rolled and ended up in that weird "stalled" state halfway in the intersection for enough time for another car to approach and honk at me like I was (which it seemed like) an A-hole. It was pretty scary actually.

Reactions: dmpnyc

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
84 Posts
I've experienced the issue of this post but experienced a similar issue in another situation. I was at a stop sign of a 3-way intersection where cross-traffic does not stop and a vehicle had its' blinker on to turn in my direction, but at the last second (after somewhat turning, since I don't trust people) decided it wanted to go straight and the collision detection system kicked in. After said car passed I could have pulled out but was prevented in a similar way as the traction control turning issue we're experiencing. The car rolled and ended up in that weird "stalled" state halfway in the intersection for enough time for another car to approach and honk at me like I was (which it seemed like) an A-hole. It was pretty scary actually.
:oops:

·
Registered
133 Posts
that’s exactly what i’ve been saying in this thread. it happens at the most inopportune time and it can be dangerous. until they fix this I’m turning off traction control every time. and it hasn’t happened since.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
A friend of mine was behind me when this happens (we were leaving work) and asked me about it today, I had to explain this crappy issue. He was like, “Yeah, you had plenty of time to turn, but you looked stuck.”

·
Registered
133 Posts
yup. I’ve been honked at. People just think we decided to jump on in and just stand there waiting to cause an accident. They don’t know that we’re desperately mashing the gas pedal

·
Registered
61 Posts
yup. I’ve been honked at. People just think we decided to jump on in and just stand there waiting to cause an accident. They don’t know that we’re desperately mashing the gas pedal
Why don't you all report it to the NHTSA. You will be on record for reporting and also a legal documented stance if you are involved in an accident.
Also I would assume Canada a similar agency..

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
I brought my Sorento in for the recall and mentioned this issue to them. They said they will try to replicate this problem and see what's wrong. It's $99 for their "diagnostic". Let's see what they come up with. I've been at the dealership for over two hours so hopefully they tell me more than their usual "we couldn't replicate the blah blah blah".
I'll let everyone know if they tell me anything different.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
Ok so it was covered under warranty so I didn't pay anything but the tech test drove it and he experienced similar issues. They checked some sensors and realized the rear right tire speed sensor was not installed properly. Or so they said lol then they test drove it again on the same street and said they did not have the issues again. So hopefully that fixes the issues. I guess ill just have to wait to see if I have problems again.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
Interesting. So the speed sensor was detecting a slip in traction when there wasn't a slip, and I guess that's triggering the TCS to go into extreme panic mode? It's an AWD vehicle right? Would it just adjust power elsewhere instead of cutting it altogether?

I'm so confused here

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting. So the speed sensor was detecting a slip in traction when there wasn't a slip, and I guess that's triggering the TCS to go into extreme panic mode? It's an AWD vehicle right? Would it just adjust power elsewhere instead of cutting it altogether?

I'm so confused here
I was confused too but its kinda makes a little sense. So maybe the tire detected a slip when accelerating and since the tires sensor wasn't connected properly, it wouldn't assist with directing power to the other tires and since it thought there was a slip it just decided to not accelerate? Idk, I hope that's what the issue was. I'll have to see how this affects the acceleration. And yes, it's the AWD version. I was also experiencing an issue when stopping and going over an uneven road, the traction control would kick in and my brakes would pop up. I didn't even think to ask what the tech actually experienced when driving it and what lead him to check that specific sensor.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts