Kia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
never experienced this in the past 5 years with newer cars I’ve driven.
Same.

So this happened to me as well and noticed the traction control was also blinking. One thing to note that both times mine has done this was also after hitting a decent size pot hole at a slow(er) speed >10mph.
I know some have said it's not related to hitting a pothole or the like, and many times it probably isn't, but I just experienced the power-sapping traction control engagement issue during a very specific set of circumstances: 1) the usual 'making a turn from a full stop' one, AND 2) the road I turned onto wasn't graded well, so it was almost like hitting a small speed hump. It was VERY clearly related to the weight transfer and/or suspension compression/decompression caused by those two things.

It reminds me of an ABS issue nearly two decades ago that affected the original bugeye WRX. Subaru hadn't dialed in the sensors correctly, so braking over bumps would aggressively trigger the anti-lock system even when traction was good, thereby increasing braking distances (frighteningly so, in some cases).

EDIT:
I sent a link to this thread as a DM to the Kia America Twitter... Maybe some of you could do the same?
I have as well. (y)

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento X-Line Aruba Green
16 Posts
I just reported it to Kia while I’m in for an oil change. I will say the other issue I have is related to turning into areas where I have to brake while turning, but from low speed, and it’s like the ABS gets triggered hitting a bump in that scenario also. I can feel the brake pedal immediately vibrate as it kicks in until I come to a complete stop. Across the board it seems like the TCS and ABS are too sensitive to certain bumps and then the reaction by the system to mitigate it is overly aggressive and intrusive.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
155 Posts
I just got the BurgerTuning drive by wire pedal adjuster kit and hoping that at least helps. Gonna bring it up with the dealer tomorrow when I get my first oil change.
Can you update us on your experience with the pedal tuner. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was gonna get it installed this past weekend but I got rear ended, so that is being delayed until it’s all repaired. Hope to have it all done soon!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
Crap, sorry to hear. Hope the damage isn't too bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alright well I said screw it and decided to see how quick I could install it. Talk about easy! Didn’t even have to unbolt anything, you can access the connector next to the gas pedal no problem.

I don’t think it’ll fix the sporadic no accel thing since I really do think that’s tied to the traction control system being triggered, but holy cow this is such a good mod for newer drive by wire cars. It makes the pedal response so much better!

·
Registered
Sorento 2015
5 Posts
Dangerous Issue with Sorrento SX V6

Intermittently and unpredictably, my V6 Sorrento just loses all power when trying to accelerate. This occurs when trying to accelerate from a stop or slow roll, but not when moving along at over, say, 10 mph. Obviously, this can be a very dangerous thing when trying to cross or pull out onto a street when there’s oncoming traffic. The car will move just enough to place it in the path of oncoming traffic and then nothing more until after I’ve released and depressed the accelerator enough times for it to finally decide go.

The car has been to the dealer several times for this, and they’ve had no remedy. They said that they couldn’t do anything because they couldn’t duplicate the problem, which is no surprise because it’s totally unpredictable. I’ve had the car into the dealer for this enough times that they finally opened a case with Kia corporate, who also had no answers.

My private mechanic found a service bulletin (online, and not from Kia) that said a hose in the fuel system was the issue. After I took the car back to the dealer yet again and told them about the bulletin, they supposedly checked the hose and said that it was okay, but they didn’t try replacing it. After all that I’d been through dealing with this, the dangerous situations it has put me in numerous times, and the fact that they had no answers, it seems to me that they should at least have tried replacing the hose.

I’ve been dealing with this for years, and it really sucks to not be able to trust the car, so I’m finally reaching out in hopes of finding a solution from someone who’s more knowledgeable than the Kia folks. The car is a 2015 Sorrento SX V6 that I bought in July of 2017 with 31,094 miles on it, and I paid extra to have it “certified.”

Other than this problem, I really like the car, but have lost a lot of faith in Kia.

·
Registered
21 Sorento X-Line
24 Posts
Does this issue have an official forum name or Twitter hashtag yet.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
52 Posts
Does this issue have an official forum name or Twitter hashtag yet.

Not to my knowledge. I did send it to the Kia America account...

I logged on with my media account (just in case it helps), followed, then DM'd them. They are slow on responses.

Creating a case with them via the 800 number is going to be my next step, after I allow them a grace period.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
16 Posts
Hi folks, I wish I had heard about this before I bought my 2021 Sorento SX. Up till now my only complaint was, "How can you sell a $40k car without a spare tire", which I found out after I bought it. Yesterday I experienced the above problem after slowing down from 40 mph to cross some uneven pavement. When I hit the bump, I saw the traction light flash and then a serious lack of power. It recovered in a couple of seconds but that could be the difference between having a serious accident or not. I will see how the dealer reacts, but I won't wait long before I contact the lemon law people and make them buy it back. Where I live you have until 18k miles to get a full buy back (I have less than 700 miles on it now.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m making it a point to drive every single time with traction control manually turned off now to see if I ever run into the issue. Been doing it for a few days now, and hasn’t happened once. Haven’t been driving it that much on those days but I’m actively trying to create the scenario as much as I can to see how it reacts, but nothing so far.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
133 Posts
it’s unfortunately hard to reproduce. it tends to just happen at the most inopportune times, like when you want to squeeze into traffic with what little chance you have as cars are hurtling at you

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
562 Posts
Is this happening during two foot driving situations, EG: holding the break and feathering the throttle when the vehicle is stopped in order to jump into a traffic opening. Does it consistently on my 2015 SX, throttle is delayed about 1/4-1/2 a second then jumps alive as the throttle finally grabs. Seems to be in the software, some kind of confusion between the brake and throttle conditions at idle. The 2014-15 forum answer was not to use two feet, but having played w/automatic transmission performance cars, that's normal procedure to leave the starting line. I had to learn to keep off brake and throttle simultaneously at stops when driving the Sorento.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For me, I can reproduce it.

It is the sharpness of the turn vs. acceleration that seems to trigger it.

If I take a turn super slow, it won't happen, but if it's sharp and I'm at a more aggressive intersection, I can reproduce.

Both left & right turns.

I have left traction on and learned to lower my acceleration, as that way is faster than having it throttle me back to nothing.

If I turn traction off, it obviously never happens, but I kind of want traction on, that is why I paid for the AWD.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
562 Posts
yea it sounds different than what I see...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I should add that the left turn is bumpy road... Not pothole, but continuous bad pavement leading from a country road to an Interstate on ramp.

The right is a single bump, as I am stepping down to the road from a higher position.

Forgot about that.

·
Registered
21 Sorento X-Line
24 Posts
If I were kia I would immediately send out an engineer to ride with Chris Collins. Especially because he can dupe it. (And I bet he can do it on any car.)

I had a first year Subaru svx and they sent out an engineer to ride along just for a squeaky dash.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX Prestige FWD
1 Posts
Interesting thread and appreciate all of the information on here. Have the Sorento Prestige as one of my top 3 for when my lease expires next month but this thread has given me some pause.

Is it safe to say that this problem is isolated to the AWD version of the Sorento?

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
61 Posts
Hi. My 2021 setento Xline is 5 months in use. I had this happen to me 3 or 4 times. I'm so shocked when it happens that I don't have time to look at lights or gauges because I'm advancing into a Turn or new lane of some sort and the acceleration stops. I'm dead in the water. I could be struck or killed In my situations. I spend my time looking to see how I can avoid an accident and pumping the gas peadle. Then within several seconds the engine reved up and I can control the car.
THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS PROBLEM. It needs to be fixed before someone gets killed.
> I am going to consciously try to avoide sharp stearing wheel turns as it seems to happen when I do this.
Hopefully someone will post a solution for this problem.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts