Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just noticed a problem with my car, had it since October, checked the oil a few months back and it was fine, checked again tonight and the dipstick was covered in oil from top to bottom, cleaned it and dipped again and got no oil level reading, just a smear around the edges. I started the engine and pulled the stick and noticed oil spitting from the dipstick,

any ideas on what it might be and how to check

no overheating problems or anything like that

cheers

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
636 Posts
You are not suppose to remove the engine oil dip stick while the engine is running. If you do oil will spit out. It is normal, although not desirable. Something not kosher here. Sounds like your out of oil. Level ground? Engine off for at least 3-5 minutes? Check it several times in succession, wiping each time you pull the stick. If your low, add as necessary. You should get in the habit of checking oil each tank full of gas.....

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
+1 ^^^^

You should never start and run the engine with no oil showing on the dipstick. It could cost you a new engine.

Do as Lou O. said above and add enough oil to bring it to the FULL mark on the stick.

Re-check it often.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,632 Posts
I’ve just noticed a problem with my car, had it since October, checked the oil a few months back and it was fine,
How often do you check the oil - what's the owners handbook say?
checked again tonight and the dipstick was covered in oil from top to bottom, cleaned it and dipped again and got no oil level reading, just a smear around the edges. I started the engine and pulled the stick and noticed oil spitting from the dipstick,
As others have said, NEVER start an engine with low oil level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s presumably an oil level warning light? It’s not been on, and if the level on the dipstick is true, the engine is effectively dry. I added 1l and it made no difference to the level on the dipstick. If the spitting oil is normal then that’s fine, just some other threads have suggested it might mean seals going or gone on injectors or a clogged breather.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,632 Posts
There’s presumably an oil level warning light? It’s not been on, and if the level on the dipstick is true, the engine is effectively dry. I added 1l and it made no difference to the level on the dipstick. If the spitting oil is normal then that’s fine, just some other threads have suggested it might mean seals going or gone on injectors or a clogged breather.
Cheers
No, there's no oil level warning light, only a low oil pressure light, and its a little late when that comes on while the engine is running.

The the level may not have got low enough for the oil pump pick-up to suck air, but that's not a risk most people would take, and going around corners it could be scooping air.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah right okay, well I’ll add another litre and see what it does to the level, if no change then I assume it’s very empty and I’ll need more. There’s been no undue smoke or anything to suggest I’m losing oil, though I do decent mileage so I’m just gonna have to keep a check on it more often

cheers

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
636 Posts
Wow! What a cavalier attitude towards the second most expensive item you can own. Hope they have good public transportation close to you, because your close to needing it. If you destroy your engine it's going to cost you thousands of pounds for a replacement. Ciao.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,429 Posts
If the PCV valve is plugged it can cause the oil to spit out. All other suggestions and reasons are valid. The PCV valve is supposed to draw off vapor in the crank case and prevent pressure from building due to combustion gasses squeaking by the rings. The 3.5 engine is a bugger to check it but it should be done. It can actually cause gaskets and o-rings to blow out.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,794 Posts
Won't likely be a pcv valve (it's a turbo diesel - different issues.). Visible vapours from the oil filler when running is a pretty good sign of worn injector seals - a fairly common problem - and need of work to fix. However, no oil is NO OIL and I've not heard of even a Kia diesel that will run with no oil...... for long. The interesting thing is that if it starts passing oil into the cylinders it will run on the oil - even when it gets turned off. The potential result is a runaway - exploding engine and a fiery furnace. (And, no, there is no oil level warning lamp!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I added two litres last night and it’s brought it just below the low level, hopefully there’s been no damage done, but I’ll get more oil tonight and get it to a correct level, then get it booked into the garage and have it looked over. It wasn’t complaining at all over the last few weeks and there’s been no noises so I don’t know if there’s any long term been done, but I’ll see soon enough I suppose.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,429 Posts
Since there was no mention of engine size or fuel I assumed. ( I know, don't go there) I saw the flag but that could be anywhere the Crown has a settlement and I am sure there are some gasoline engines there. People need to fill out there profiles to provide information like that so people like me won't make dumb suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Since there was no mention of engine size or fuel I assumed. ( I know, don't go there) I saw the flag but that could be anywhere the Crown has a settlement and I am sure there are some gasoline engines there. People need to fill out there profiles to provide information like that so people like me won't make dumb suggestions.
I just added the "Diesel" to his sig.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I realize people are in a hurry, and perhaps using their smartphones to join and add info to this site, but unless they take a few minutes to do so many threads / issues can not be analyzed or suggestions made. This one is a good example. And, Neil, get in the habit of checking your oil every tank of petrol......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4L of oil and we’re above the mid level on the dipstick now, so hopefully I’ve been lucky and there’s been no damage done. Definitely will be checking more often from now on

cheers

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
4L of oil and we’re above the mid level on the dipstick now, so hopefully I’ve been lucky and there’s been no damage done. Definitely will be checking more often from now on

cheers
Capacity is 8.2L , and now you need it checked to see what's causing that kind of oil consumption.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2003 Manual 4WD
4 Posts
Won't likely be a pcv valve (it's a turbo diesel - different issues.). Visible vapours from the oil filler when running is a pretty good sign of worn injector seals - a fairly common problem - and need of work to fix.
What do you mean by (turbo diesel - different issue)?? I always thought the pressure from Dipstick or oil filler cap was either a blocked PCV valve or the piston rings are gone and need an engine overhaul. Is something different on Turbo diesel engines? Please explain, I am very interested to learn more. Very interesting.

And yes, this could also be the worn injector seals too, many documented cases out there.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,794 Posts
I don't think there is a pcv valve as such.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2006, 2.5 ltr, CRDi XT, Diesel Auto
12 Posts
robeangyalchen,

I think if the injector seals were gone he'd probably notice the nasty smell. I know I did when the injector seals went on the Merc I used to own. I believe it has it's own name as well, and is often referred to as the 'Black Death', due to the shiny black carbon deposits that spread all over the head. Annoyingly, unless you take off the plastic cover over the engine you might miss it, but it does lead to a nasty smell in the cabin if the car is stopped at traffic lights, etc.

It's cheap to repair if you have a slide hammer for getting the injectors out, as the seals cost around £5 for 4 (off Ebay), but the injectors can stick quite solidly, and it took me over 2 hours to get one of them out on mine. Putting them back in was considerably easier once I'd cleaned out the holes the injectors sat in, and also cleaned the gunk off the shaft of each injector. It's also important to make sure the lip the seal sits on in the cylinder head is spotlessly clean, or the seal won't sit properly, and it'll leak all over again. Oh, and always use new injector bolts when refitting the injectors. They aren't expensive, but they're designed to stretch as you torque them down, so refitting old bolts won't work very well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts