Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 spectra, auto trans, 100k miles,speedometer works in the morning properly. after driving awhile the speedo and odometer wont work. there are NO codes, i put in a new speed sensor,(no change) i put in a new instrument cluster, (no change) new belts (no change) i cleaned all ground connections down to bare metal (no change) i changed the transmission fluid (no change)

I'm at my whits end, I can't think of anything else. I need to resolve this problem. If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know. THANKS

·
Registered
32 Posts
thats how it was in my rio i use to have never figure out the problem well i knew what the problem was but never fix it. not sure wich speed senor u changed but change your vehicle speed sonsor if already did then your wheel speed sensor or vice versa whichever u didnt do. its bouncing around like crazy huh or just doesnt work completely?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i changed the vehicle speed sensor on top of transmission, the one with the gear on it that sends a signal to the instrument cluster. this car DOES NOT have ABS, so wouldn't the wheel speedsensors be out of the picture since they are only for the abs? also there are NO codes, which i wish there was so i wouldn't have to guess on what to change. these parts are quite expensive. if anyone has any ideas or a real fix please take time to post.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i changed the vehicle speed sensor on top of transmission, the one with the gear on it that sends a signal to the instrument cluster. this car DOES NOT have ABS, so wouldn't the wheel speedsensors be out of the picture since they are only for the abs? also there are NO codes, which i wish there was so i wouldn't have to guess on what to change. these parts are quite expensive. if anyone has any ideas or a real fix please take time to post.
Sounds like you need to start looking closer at the wiring. Check your vehicle speed sensor and whether you got power going to the yellow/orange wire, should be 12 volts approx and less than 1 ohm of resistance. You didn't say whether you had an automatic or manual transmission: check the black wire for less than 1 ohm resistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Paco, it's an automatic, the problem is it works when engine is cold but stops working after it's warmed up and has been driven awhile. I'm going to try and flush the trans cooler system this weekend. i checked the wheel speed sensors last night and they check good. any other ideas are greeeeaaatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shade tree mechanics

are there any mechanics in this forum that can help with my speedometer not working intermittantly. 05 spectra LX, auto trans, 100k miles, works when cold after warms up it stops working. I have changed the speed sensor on top of trans, fluid change, instr. cluster change, sanded down all ground points to bare metal,front wheel speed sensors check good. could it be the TCM , PCM ,ECM

help please!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
i am a kia tech, the speedo system is a very simple system. Ground number G12 which is under the master cylinder on the inner fender is the ground point for this sensor. Make sure its clean and paint free if you have not already. There is 3 wires, power, ground and signal. The signal wire goes to the instrument cluster via a few connectors. I would go online, and get a wiring diagram of the speed sensor and find the few connectors it goes through, make sure they are good and clean, check continuity of the wire to the cluster, then leave it apart and check continuity again when it quits working. One of the first places i would check is where the signal wire runs through the fuse block under the hood.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I posted on your other thread already and im not typing it again lol. Dont waste your money on flushing this and that unless you want it done as maintenance. It has nothing at all to do with your speedo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ESKORT i'm pretty sure that was one of the grounds i cleaned last weekend but i'll double check to make sure. I'll check the other things tonight and let you know what i find. thanks again.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
checked the wiring this evening, after its warm and not working, heres my findings, 12v to sensor ,ground is good, sprayed electric connector cleaner to all connectors in engine compartment. Wil see if it happens tomorrow will keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
checked voltage to sensor and i have 12v and good ground,sprayed elect connections with cleaner, will test tomorrow and get back to you guys ......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still not working properly, fails at about noon everyday, idrive alot for work and have to keep track of miles.

failed one day,parked under a shade tree, popped the hood for an hour, it worrked properly for a couple hours after that. i am going to investigate the cooling system for engine and transmission........

·
Registered
408 Posts
You are barking up the wrong tree by checking cooling systems, fluid and whatnot because this is an electrical issue, not a cooling issue. Yes I know it quits working when it gets hot, but the normal operating temperature of the engine and transmission will not make a sensor quit working. I would say you have a faulty connectin in the wire that sends the speed signal because as the temp increases normally, the pins in the connectors expand and contract with temperature. You said you have 12 volts to the sensor, and a good ground, but you never said anything about the signal comming out or the continuity on that wire, perhaps you do have a faulty speed sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the info, i'll check some more wires , connectors and the signal line. i'll keep you posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update.... checked again the connector voltage pin #3 has 12v.....also checked ground to ground #12= 0 ohms , BUT if i set the digital multimeter and put it on pin #3 and to ground i get 0 ohms, Seems like a short to ground on the y/o wire pin #3

12v is from ig1 through fuse 10 amp (ecu) and about six connectors

the question is this: from the connector pin #3 (which is the power line) should it have any connection to frame ground ? i would think not....

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the final fix?

I have the same issues going on and KIA says it is a cluster, which I have tried, along with the sensors. Are there wheel speed sensors on a Non ABS?

Works for the first 10 miles, then after parking for half an hour quits for the day till it cools off for a few hours. I emailed this guy to see what the final fix was, with no response.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not fixed yet

have not fixed yet. the 12v line is shorting to ground. ihav not had time to trace it yet. i will post what i find this weekend

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally fixed speedometer

THERE IS A SHORT WITHIN THE WIRING HARNESS. I had to slice the signal wire at the sensor then through the firewall and spliced in to the signal wire at the instrument cluster. IT WORKS GREAT NOW

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi John, just bought a used spectra 2006 for my son, exact same problem as yours with speedometer, we changed the sensor and same outcome. We live in La Mirada CA and thought if you live nearby could help us with the fix. Let me know if interested. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find the root cause?

Did you end up finding the root cause of the problem? I am experiencing the exact same issue and am lost for solutions. Already replaced all the speed related sensors and the cluster, to no avail.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
19 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing