Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can share with me wat speed u put on highway on your new KIA Spectra and how is the outcome? is it stable? did u feel any steering shaking althoug wheel alignment and balancing is just done by tyre shop. Pls share.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had my 04.5 Spectra up to 125 MPH and it was sturdy. I then filled the tires to correct pressure (I noticed they were low) and at much lower speeds it was shaky. I am going to let a little bit of the pressure out again and see if it feels better.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by teohse@Jan 12 2005, 06:54 PM
Hi,
Can share with me wat speed u put on highway on your new KIA Spectra and how is the outcome? is it stable? did u feel any steering shaking althoug wheel alignment and balancing is just done by tyre shop. Pls share.
I think you should investigate the history of that spectra, sounds like it may have been in some kind of accident...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by KIAI!@Jan 13 2005, 02:45 PM
I think you should investigate the history of that spectra, sounds like it may have been in some kind of accident...
oo, FYI, i own this brand new car for 3 months old only

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ppwazzup@Jan 13 2005, 12:07 PM
I have had my 04.5 Spectra up to 125 MPH and it was sturdy. I then filled the tires to correct pressure (I noticed they were low) and at much lower speeds it was shaky. I am going to let a little bit of the pressure out again and see if it feels better.

Matt
u mean is tyre presure problem? when i reach 120KM the steering shake and then when i drive to 130KM then it is ok.. From 130KM to 140km/h it shake again.. but when reach 140KM/h it is then ok.. Wat is the reason behind/?

·
Registered
107 Posts
mine shakes at 80MPH, its not the tire pressure, its the motor mounts. Also tighten down the seat more and check it to see if it wiggles, that helps the shaking a bit, but its the motor mounts since they use soft rubber. Handling is terrible with the violent shake and obnoxious.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
NH:

I've had my 2004.5 Spectra EX up over 80 mph several times, and my car's as solid as a rock. I do have the automatic, so my RPMs are probably much lower than the 5-speed stick (due to the favorable gear ratios).

Is your car (with the shaky motor) a 5 speed?

Btw, check out the latest J.D. Power info on the Spectra on the website I put up for my car at: http://spectraman.freeservers.com

The Spectra came in 2nd in Initial Quality behind the Toyota Prius, and actually beat the tied Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic!

-SM

·
Registered
107 Posts
On a recent trip from New Brunswick Canada to South Carolina US, we were very often traveling at speed of 140km/h (85mph) with no vibration or shake what so ever. By the time we were ready for the trip back north I noticed that I needed to have the tires ballanced again as there was a vibration in the steering wheel, after balancing all was well agian.

I would suggest that you have your balance checked again, if possilbe watch the tech do the work. I've had balancing done in the past where it was worse after balance that before. Have them do it again if need be.......

d

·
Registered
94 Posts
Usually shaking or vibration at high speed is tire related. If you live in a climate where you have mud or ice that can build up inside the tire rim, check to make sure that you get the inside of the rim good and clean. It doesn't take much mud or ice to make a difference - at 80mph, centrifugal force makes it push harder towards the outside of the tire - effectively making it an oblong tire that bounces.

To determine whether it is a front or rear tire(s), when it starts to vibrate - does it feel like the vibration is coming from your seat or through the steering wheel?

Take your car in, and get a wheel balancing done on all four wheels - it's cheap to get done and is easily the first thing to try.

Devin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by teohse@Jan 12 2005, 07:54 PM
Hi,
I've had my 2005 5-spd over 100 MPH on a paved country 2-lane road and it handled like a dream. I have had the dealer do all the work on it, and they always check the tire pressure every time I go in. I recommend, like everyone else, you check your tire pressure (WHEN COLD!), have the alignment checked again, and re-balance your wheels (those wheel weights fall off all the time). Also, the vibration can be caused by a ton of different things - at that speed the littlest mechanical movement can set up a resonating vibration that could cause a crash if it gets bad enough, so be careful...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I took my Spectra5 up to about 170km/h / 105MPH today to see how it handled on the highway at that speed - and it was rock solid all the way with no vibrations at all. I was curious after reading the comments of people with troubles here. I have a whopping 1450km / 900 miles on my car, so it's still pretty young - I'll have to keep checking as I get more miles on it. :)

Devin

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 90HP one and it went 200km/h, but when you go over 200km/h, the engine starts "screaming!!" anyone else has that problem??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a Spectra but my 09 Rio has been shaking since new.It will start at 55mph then go away till i reach 75mph.I have also noticed the shaking gets worse on newly paved roads.The shaking is in the steering wheel.Tires mabey,but i get the feeling its mechanical.Mabey the motor mounts,mabey the drive axles.I have yet to take it to the dealership to address problem.Tire pressure ok.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
Not a Spectra but my 09 Rio has been shaking since new.It will start at 55mph then go away till i reach 75mph.I have also noticed the shaking gets worse on newly paved roads.The shaking is in the steering wheel.Tires mabey,but i get the feeling its mechanical.Mabey the motor mounts,mabey the drive axles.I have yet to take it to the dealership to address problem.Tire pressure ok.
More than likely it will be tyre related get them to check that the tyres haven't got crooked belts that cause a weaving motion when rolling that transmits to the steering wheel. also sometimes tyres will develop a flat spot, first off change front to rear and see if there is any change .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts