Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I dont want to bring this subject up but Im going to eventually have to do so, so I might as well get it over with. lol If anyone has drivin their 04.5 Spectra or Spectra5 in the snow let me know how it handled. I went from my 04 Sorento with like 9 inches of ground clearance to my Spectra SX. Went from like one extreme to the other. So any info would be great. :liebe011:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Spec SX@Aug 26 2005, 10:51 PM
As much as I dont want to bring this subject up but Im going to eventually have to do so, so I might as well get it over with. lol If anyone has drivin their 04.5 Spectra or Spectra5 in the snow let me know how it handled. I went from my 04 Sorento with like 9 inches of ground clearance to my Spectra SX. Went from like one extreme to the other. So any info would be great. :liebe011:
I have been wondering the same thing. Anyone have any experience with em yet?

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have decided to put a set of snow tires on it and being front wheel drive it should be pretty good.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
Don't worry about the snow. My Spectra EX with Eagle LS tires did just fine last year up here in the Great White North of Michigan.

I didn't have the SX front-bumper issue to worry about, but traction and stopping wasn't an issue at all.

I purposely threw my car around in a large store parking lot during slick conditions, and I'm of the mind that the Spectra doesn't really need ABS either. With the standard 4-way discs, I couldn't get my car to lose control and spin around regardless of how hard I hit the brakes and whipped the wheel back and forth.

Obviously an ABS car is statistically going to outperform a non-ABS car. But... when the spectre (pun intended) of reality creeps in such as my above mentioned experiments, how badly is it really needed?

Keep in mind the mechanics of ABS are much more complicated than standard brakes due to the optical sensors required on each wheel that feed wheelspin statistics to the ABS computer. GM recently announced a big recall of trucks due to corrosion on the part that the sensor watches. KIA even had some problems recently with the ABS on the new Sportage to a the point that it generated a TSB (technical service bulletin).

If you have the Eagle LSes on your car, I wouldn't even mess with snow tires, unless you're looking to put Blizzaks on due to lots of freezing rain, etc.

-SM

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Im not too worried about the front bumper of my SX. It should have enough ground clearance. I have a little over 7 inches of clearance in the front. Glad to hear it handled good. Thats what I was looking for. I dont have the Eagle LS tires. I have the 205/50/16 Goodyears. They dont look like they will do all that good in the snow thats why Im going to put a good set of snows on it.
Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I run Goodyear Eagle UltraGrip Ice snow tires...... I've pushed snow over the hood and drop on ice I could not stand up on..... no problem.

d

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to keep those tires in mind when shopping around for snow tires. :liebe011:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts