Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking very hard for a sensible vehicle. It has to be a manual trans and I really like hatchbacks. I didn't really look at a Spectra5 until I came across this one.

2008 Kia Spectra5 $8,595 - Liberty Subaru - Emerson, NJ 07630-2646 Dealer

2008 Spectra5 SX $8595 Manual Trans 46,000 miles. It seems to be in good shape.

Likes - not a bad looking car, lots of stuff for the value, ipod aux hook up, stick shift, solid reviews in 08 and 09.

This Kia seems to be a couple thousand lower than the Suzuki SX4, a good amount less than the Honda Fit.

QUESTIONS
Is this a decent deal?
How do you like your Spectra5?
How reliable is it?
I heard Kia transfers HALF of the powertrain. How do I get an extended warranty from Kia (this Spectra is located at a Subaru dealership)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am doing car shopping via the internet since a "local" dealer is a good half hour drive and I sold my WRX before I moved here. I live in Sussex NJ, really rural place. Otherwise I would just walk down the street and drive it and see if I like it.

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
It looks like it's a clean car.
1-As far as a good deal, that's kind of on an individual basis. How does their price compare with book value? Was the WRX your only vehicle?/Do you NEED a car or is this an upgrade/second car? Are you trading in? A good deal for you may not be for someone else. So if you feel that it is a decent deal, go for it.
2- Since I don't own a Spectra I don't have an opinion on it. I have only driven the short distances during test drives at the shop. I do like the looks. I hate the clutch feel though, just my opinion. If I were in the market for a car like this, I would definitely consider the Spec 5's.
3- The Spectras have been very reliable, especially when taken care of. I've worked on/seen many with well over 150K miles.
4-When purchasing a pre-owned Kia, your warranty will only be the remainder of the 5year/60K. The only way you can get more warranty from Kia would be if you buy it Certified Pre-Owned from a Kia dealer (out of the question in this case). If you want more warranty with this car, you'll have to look at an aftermarket warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Kelly BB says the price is in line...
Both my wife and I own Spectras (06 and 07 four doors) and the cars owe us nothing.
I had a gas tank strap replaced on my 06 N/C and I replaced rear disk pads on my wifes 07..That's about it.
You will need a timing belt replaced at 60k and probably 4 new NGK Plugs...
Good reliable cars.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father just gave me his 2008 Kia Spectra5 when he bought a new car. His was very clean and only had 41k miles I just spent 2,700k miles in it driving it from Colorado Springs to Wilmington NC, then to Pensacola FL.

It was very comfotable, drove very well. I am really liking this car so far.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
APBTLover...
Just be sure to do required service (and keep it in HIS name for the 10yr/100k drive train warranty). The timing/cam belt MUST be replaced EVERY 5yrs/60k miles or you get to guy an engine. Expect many more miles from your Spec5.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts