Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How on God's green earth do you remove the center console in the dash to replace the factory stereo? I've read in the Spectra you pop six clips out to make it fit, but I can't find any references here to the Spectra5. I'm not sure if it's the same dash or not, I'm afraid I didn't drive the sedan for a test-drive.... :) I've attached a pic for reference.

Devin

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow... I'm jealous. I got the double DIN head unit without the pocket. I totally need to find that pocket when I go aftermarket, single DIN. From what I could tell, the dash is the same as the sedan, just alumium-esqe look.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess if you're really jealous, you can have first dibs on it. I was going to just throw it on eBay, but I'd rather sell it to someone who will appreciate it. LOL When I've been looking around at install kits, it seems 90% of them have the pocket at the bottom too. I thought GM was the only company stupid enough to use those gawd awful double din setups, I guess I was wrong. I bought the Sony since I really wanted XM (I like it better than Sirius), but if Clarion was XM compatible I would have bought their new touch-screen OEL model - it was only $100 more and looked damn hot!!! My wife would kill me if I shut off our XM account and went Sirius - we have wayyyyy too much XM equipment here that we just bought less than a year ago. Oh well, you can't go wrong with a Sony right? And it was the only deck with a factory 2 year warranty....

I decided I'd let the dealer's installer put my deck in. He won't be thrilled to install a deck I bought somewhere else, but it's the deck I wanted and he didn't carry it. I guess maybe I should get him to install the Motorola bluetooth kit at the same time, since it connects to the attenuator feature on the deck anyway...

So what do you drive? I had my heart set on the Pontiac Vibe since it looks hot and has a Toyota powertrain... but I couldn't justify the extra $$$ and the terrible interest rate on the lease (5.5% vs 0.0% on the Kia). It worked out to be almost $6000 cheaper, and I got more car for the money to boot. I still think the Vibe looks nicer, but I'm willing to settle since I can just mod my Spectra5 how I want anyway.

Talk to you soon,

Devin

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
14 Posts
I just installed my cd player into my spectra5 with a kit that was supposed to work but didnt. I just used some ingenuity and made it work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5
96 Posts
That is one big reason I have not put in my new deck yet I dont want it to look like some guy put it in after a bottle of vodka. Really hope a kit comes out that fits nicely in there.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
14 Posts
Yes, but I could not wait any longer and really wanted my MP3 capability. When the kit does finally come out I will re-do it. Not that big of a deal. As for it looking like someone that was drinking vodka.... it really isnt that bad.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5
96 Posts
oh i didnt mean so much that yours look all that bad but im sure if i did it i would need a bottle. heck i had a stero place put in mine for my old rio and they remove the cubby used a large flat piece and slapped the stero right in the middle looked like a$$ and I lost my little storage cubby. Which normal held my cell and and thing else i was carrying around. So i dont want ot go thru that again.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra
46 Posts
LOL... did anyone in this thread ever answer how to get the dash console out? It takes some work but basically, get several very small flat tip sqrewdrives, and CAREFULLY (you will scratch the dash otherwise) wedge them into the bottom of the dash console (2-3 sqrewdrivers) and pry off the bottom of the console... it will pop out with enough leverage, i recommend using small sqrewdrivers to get into the console, and then a larger one to pry it out. once the bottom is popped out, the rest will pop out with come TLC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by haddytech@Oct 26 2005, 09:50 PM
LOL... did anyone in this thread ever answer how to get the dash console out? It takes some work but basically, get several very small flat tip sqrewdrives, and CAREFULLY (you will scratch the dash otherwise) wedge them into the bottom of the dash console (2-3 sqrewdrivers) and pry off the bottom of the console... it will pop out with enough leverage, i recommend using small sqrewdrivers to get into the console, and then a larger one to pry it out. once the bottom is popped out, the rest will pop out with come TLC.
Hi

I am currently trying to remove the dash console and speedo meter console so that I will be able to change all the lights to blue ones. Anyone can provide more pics and instructions on how to remove them? I really need to know where are all the 'catches' so that i will not force and break any of the plastic parts.

thanks a lot

jemjem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hiz

Thanks a lot for the pics. It's of great help! :) By the way, for pic1, after removing the screws, it still seems to be held by some 'clips' and i cant seem to remove it. Jus by pushing in small flat screw drivers in between the gaps anyway will remove the it? If not, maybe can draw some arrows on the pics to show where i should try to 'ply' this panel in pic 1?

Thanks a lot :)

jemjem

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Not too sure on where to start prying it. I would think that there are clips all the way around it so it wont really matter on where you start prying it. If you use a small flat head screwdriver wrap the end of it in a rag so you wont damage your dash or use a small puddy knife wrapped in a rag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts