Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I should have bought Prius or other similar hybrid car... So, I did a little research/calculation.

Prius - The avg OTD price is $28,000 (tax, lic, etc) when you get a fully loaded model. Now some dealers are adding 10% premium and you have to be on the waiting list. The avg MPG is only about 45 mpg no where near advertised rating according to real Prius owners according to MSN website.
Spectra - I paid $14, 000 OTD for fully loaded EX. I get easily 30 mpg.

If you are driving 15,000 miles/yr and pay $3/ga in your area:

Spectra Fuel Cost = $1,500/yr
Prius Fuel Cost = $1,000/yr
The total saving in fuel cost is $500/yr. Since the difference in the initial purchase price is $14,000. That means it would take 28 YEARS to recoup that extra money! Also, the Prius battery needs replacing every 10 years at $6,000 according to the MSN.

Now I don't feel too bad not getting the Prius...

·
Registered
107 Posts
http://www.priuschat.com/

I think the owners who post on this site would disagree with you...

I to was thinking about a prius..... I now wish I had bought the Prius.

Gas is going up, so the cost ratio today doesn't wash, especially if you plan on driving it for 10 yrs.

The battery is not 6k, I think it's now down to 2k..... and $500 used at a salvage yard and new is guaranteed for 8yrs.

There are lots of people who get 70mpg from the Prius.

It's bigger, has more pickup, can carry more. Rides better etc etc.... it should cost more.

Just something to think about.

d

·
Registered
78 Posts
I TOTALLY disagree with the "more pick up" statement. The Prius was a dog, and I did not like the ride what-so-ever. Carry more? I can easily carry 5 adults, or 2 adults, child and 3 bikes in mine, or a 42" Plasma flat screen with 2 adults in mine!

And then, lets discuss the svelt beauty of Spec... vs the butt ugly Prius... NO COMPARISON!

The Spec5 is a wonderful daily driver that has plenty get up and go, cornering/handling, people/cargo capacity, and fun to drive aspect!

I am VERY happy with my selection nearly 10k miles later.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I agree the Prius is really ugly. When I buy a vehicle it has to look good and the Prius just dosent look good at all. I have plenty of room in my Spectra SX Sedan. I went camping this past summer and there was plenty of room for all of our gear along with two adults.
One more thing I dont like about the Prius is having to spend all of that money down the road to replace the batteries.
I travel 350+ miles a week in my Spectra and I dont regret buying it at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More pick up from 1.5L 76 hp now discontinued Echo engine?
$500 battery from salvage yard?
70 mpg? On down hill with engine turnd off? Haven't you read newspaper articles about Prius owners complaining that they are getting <50mpg no where near its EPA rating?

A lot of people are either buying or thinking about buying a hybrid because of high gas price. Hybrid is a good concept but still needs to imprve a lot to compete with similar level cars, and the price has to come down for sure. Until then, I'm driving my Spectra and enjoying it every single mile.

·
Registered
107 Posts
More pick up from 1.5L 76 hp now discontinued Echo engine?
It's a modified echo engine.... that is coupled with an electric motor, the motor generate 295ft/lbs of tourque.... so yes, it certainly has more pick up.

$500 battery from salvage yard?
yes, shop arround and see...... I did.

70 mpg? On down hill with engine turnd off? Haven't you read newspaper articles about Prius owners complaining that they are getting <50mpg no where near its EPA rating?
yes, I have read those articals.... and I've also read I Beat the EPA--Post 'em here bottom of first page... a poster who got 52mpg and one who got 71mpg.... on the first page.

Look, I bought the Spectra. I love the car. It was a good decision imo.. even with all the troubles I've had, see my other posts. The bottom line is.... I have 40k km on my car in one year. With the price of gas going up, not down, I could have a bigger car with more room then my Spectra... not Spec5 hatch for the same money.

I am so glad Toyota has spend the money to develop this car. They are pushing the industry...... maybe we'll see less American designed SUV junk on the roads sooner than later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts