Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm writing in about my girlfriend's 2005 Kia Spectra V. It uses rims that call for low-profile tires, which are expensive and exist for uses other than those for which this car is actually used.

Is it possible to change the rims out or something to get a more economical tire on there, without affecting turning radius or the accuracy of the odometer/speedometer?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If you go back to something that approximates the standard wheel, you should be OK. The "benefits" of wide wheels are mostly imaginary; standard wheels give a better ride and tyre cost is about half.

Quick search suggests 195/60R15 is standard, but do your own check (handbook, placard).

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
I believe that Spectra 5's came with 16" wheels and a 50 series tire. That is what was on mine if memory serves me well. Several online tire dealers have fitment charts.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
I believe that Spectra 5's came with 16" wheels and a 50 series tire. That is what was on mine if memory serves me well. Several online tire dealers have fitment charts.
my 05 spectra5 came from the factory with 16" wheels and i believe its 195/50/16 but what i have on my car is 195/55/16 cause i found a set of good used tires from my freind shop for 30 bucks installed and balance for all four. thats is why i love having connection.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
Standard 4 bolt 15" metal Spectra rims from the EX and LX models will work just fine with 195/60R15 tires.

The low profile 16" tires are not any more expensive than the standard 15" ones. We have two Specs ...My 06 Spec SX (same level as the Spec5) with 16" alloys and my wife has a 07 Spec with 15" steel rims. The prices for 15" and 16" are about the same..
You would also have to buy 4 15" rims and also wheel covers and that would cost you more also.
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main issue here is tire cost (they run about $120-140 USD apiece) and durability; they don't last very long, 15-20k miles or so... which is why I would like to put on a "regular" tire. My own car, for example, has tires that cost about $70 each (185/75r14), and they last so long that I don't even know how many miles it is between changes.

I don't think the cost of the tire is due to an exceptionally-low profile, so much as it's due to commonality of the tire.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
or just go to any used tire place or any new tire place they should sell quality good use tires for the fraction of the cost if your worried about the price.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
The main issue here is tire cost (they run about $120-140 USD apiece) and durability; they don't last very long, 15-20k miles or so... which is why I would like to put on a "regular" tire. My own car, for example, has tires that cost about $70 each (185/75r14), and they last so long that I don't even know how many miles it is between changes.

I don't think the cost of the tire is due to an exceptionally-low profile, so much as it's due to commonality of the tire.
I think you need to talk to a different tire place. You should get MUCH more miles out of them. The profile should not affect the longevity of the tire. You are looking at high speed rated tires, which are softer to get more "grip" on the road, but at the expense of miles. If you can get a tire in the proper size that is a lower speed rating (and really, how fast are you really going to drive it?) you should get much more miles out of them. The higher speeds are also more expensive. You should be able to find 16's in the 100-120 range with a 40k tread warranty on them.

You can get the regular Spectra 15" rims, but you'll need to pay for the rims, and the tires are still in the 80-100 range on top of that, so not much of a savings. If you live in an area that you need snow tires for winter, it may make more sense to get the 15" rims with snows, and keep the summer tires on the 16" to make it easier to swap at the end of each season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts