Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Spectra GSX with a cooling fan issue. The relay click calling for the fan and I get 13 volts across the hot side. Nothing. I can power the fan at the connector just before for fan and it runs. So, I have a good fan.

Is there anything between the relay and the fan that would override the power getting to the fan?

No fan = overheating! Thanks for help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: After futzing with it for some time, I started tapping on the relays and the fuse box. The fans came on. Great, an intermittant issue.

I had already swapped the relays around to tray and find a bad one. No luck. Perhaps a bad connector down below I can't see?

At any rate, I've got fans now. I just wish I knew for certain what the issue was/is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by 3DCrew@Jun 10 2005, 12:48 PM
Update: After futzing with it for some time, I started tapping on the relays and the fuse box. The fans came on. Great, an intermittant issue.

I had already swapped the relays around to tray and find a bad one. No luck. Perhaps a bad connector down below I can't see?

At any rate, I've got fans now. I just wish I knew for certain what the issue was/is.
Check for corrosion in the connection points where the relay connects to the panel. It may just be corroded terminals. I'd do a continuity check along every point to see if there are any places where the wire is broken that you can't see too. Let us know how it goes!

Devin

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It's probably just a loose connector, but I would check to make sure that the fan is grounded properly first, just because it's an easy test. If you're testing for voltage, then you may have a way to check for continuity. If not, wait for night and see if your headlights are dim because they are grounded at the same place.

The only connector between the relay and the fan is inside of the fuse box (or underneath it). It's a 32 pin white one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts