Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)Just wondering what your RPM'S are in 5th gear at 55/65/75 MPH?
Dealer really didn't want me take it out on the interstate for a test drive.
And please if your not sure... :thumbsup: go check
2)Also are you seeing higher or lower HWY MPG then the sticker states (33)
3)What mileage will you replace the timming belt?
thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 05 with Auto.....

MPG is much lower than EPA, here in Canada, it's rated at 46 hwy. Most I ever clocked was 34 comb, mostly hwy.

The 5sp has a lower final ratio and is reported to get less MPG.

d

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ddire@Aug 14 2005, 09:01 AM

The 5sp has a lower final ratio and is reported to get less MPG.
Ahhhhhh...Haaaaa so that's why the fuel mileage window sticker shows a mile or two higher with the automatic vs manual 5-speed!
Thanks...good info!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay... in 5th gear I pull between 3-4k RPM.

I made a trip to Aspen and back, 460 miles round trip (mountain driving, a couple large passes - Loveland/Vail/Independence [return], and twisties), filled up when I returned with ~12 gal. Thats ~38MPG!

This was the first highway trip with little city driving.

Around town I get anywhere from 24.5-29MPG. I drive aggressively and tend to keep it in the powerband, READ >4k RPM.

No plans for the timing belt yet as I only have 7k miles...
Will likely follow the reccomendations...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by loco5@Aug 14 2005, 07:38 PM
Okay... in 5th gear I pull between 3-4k RPM.
At what mph...55-65-70? Personally I don't ever see the need to run over 70 mph.

38 mpg is respectable, and 5 mpg over the sticker...for a 5-speed!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not that I don't believe you, just I've never heard of anyone getting decent mileage out of a Spectra, If anyone else is getting good mileage please post. I assume your 38mpg is US gal? That would be great mileage.

Is yours stock, I was thinking of a cold air intake and maybe an upgrade to the ignition system. I run 35psi in the tires already.

d

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I have a 05 Spectra SX. Its a automatic. The best I ever got was 28mpg with it. Its all stock. I have a K&N drop in air filter and a tornado on its way. Im going to run it like that for a while and then eventually take that out and put a cai in it. I would like to eventually break 30mpg with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by HammerDown@Aug 14 2005, 06:47 PM
At what mph...55-65-70? Personally I don't ever see the need to run over 70 mph.

38 mpg is respectable, and 5 mpg over the sticker...for a 5-speed!

That is the RPM range through those speeds... ~3k for 55, and to ~4k for 70

That being said, @ 6.5k(redline) you can pull ~30 out of 1st, ~60 out of 2nd, and ~80 out of 3rd.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by ddire@Aug 14 2005, 07:17 PM
Not that I don't believe you, just I've never heard of anyone getting decent mileage out of a Spectra, If anyone else is getting good mileage please post. I assume your 38mpg is US gal? That would be great mileage.

Is yours stock, I was thinking of a cold air intake and maybe an upgrade to the ignition system. I run 35psi in the tires already.

d
I know, I couldnt believe it myself, yep US mileage/gals. But a steady 70-75 with cruise set does wonders for the fuel economy. I am completely stock and run ~35PSI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts