Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Got 2100 kilometres on my Spectra 5 speed.

Love the car BUT seems to me to have excessive rolling noise any time the car is in motion.

This is not a drive train noise, it is simply a hum/rumble/whatever that starts as soon as the car moves off from rest. Doesn't really get louder as speed increasess. It DOES change with road smoothness, but so far I have never found a road smooth enough to make it disappear altogether. It seems to me to come from mostly the right rear, but it is really hard to tell for sure.

What I am 99% sure it is NOT is: transaxle or wheel bearing (not a whine like you usually get from a bad bearing). What I think it could be is:
- normal noise associated with the high speed tires (I have the Hankooks which I know are supposed to be sensitive to road surface and noisy).
- normal rear suspension noise
- harmonic resonance in the body from the suspension
- exhaust system vibration (not as a function of the muffler operating just vibrating when the car us in motion).

Mechanic at the dealer thought it was normal but it seems excessive to me. There is NO unusual vibration. Everything feels and handles perfect - just quite a lot of noise.

Anybody else noticed this? Is it normal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it's tire noise I would think it will get worse as the km add up.

I have the hankooks too..... their fine for the first 20k or so then they are useless in the rain. In over twenty years of driving I have never had a tire leak from a nail. These Hankooks have had 4 out of 4 tires pick up nails. I would also caution you in driving these tires in the snow. They are useless.

Where in Canada are you, I'm in Fredericton NB.

d

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outside of Winnipeg so I will definitely be driving in snow soon.

The noise is frustrating as its a lot worse than seems normal to me but I do recall replacing a set of Firestones on a previous car with Michelins and the change in road noise and smoothness was like night and day so my suspicion is its a combination of the tight suspension on the Spectra and very noisy tires.

Dunno if the rear trailing link suspension is noted for being noisy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my '05 Spectra EX for about 4 months now and have had it back to the dealer 3 times for excessive road noise/vibration. They keep telling me the noise is due to out of balance tires, which they have balanced now at every visit. They've rotated the tires twice also. Still, while the noise/vibration is less, it remains. My tires are Kumho's. I don't know if they are manufactured by Hankook, making them as noisy and sensitive as others posted here, but I do know one thing. As soon as they are worn enough -- gotten my money's worth out of them -- I'm switching to a better brand, likely Pirelli. My dealer can tell me all they want to that the tires aren't the problem, but I know better. Love the car, hate the tires!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, profspec!

Yeah, I think its the tires.

I guess if you assume they're not idiots at KIA they presumably tested them and found them better in severe winter conditions - which is why they put them on Spectras for Scandinavia, Canada and the Northern U.S.

Like you, I would live with the possibly slightly worse winter performance and go with Pirellis or Michelins when its replacement time as I have never found all that much difference in winter performance among tire brands anyway.

I would think most of it is that 220 KPH rated tires aren't noted for being quiet to begin with and when you try to make them with a more aggressive tread for snow/ice it compounds the problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As I said above, I would really advise against the stock tires for winter. If your car is purchased and not a lease I would buy 4 steel rims and 4 tires designed for snow and ice. Being in "the peg" I'm sure you get your fair share of the white slippery stuff. You will feel much better about driving. Your "summer" tires will last alot longer too. They are a pretty decent tire for pavement.... not spectacular but worth wearing out. :)

d

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, ddire.

Guess I will find out as snow forecast this week. Trouble is I dunno if I like the Hankooks enough to keep so got to decide if I just replace brand new tires with better (well quiter anyway) all-season rubber or go with your suggestions.

To update, I found myself on a new resurfaced road and NO NOISE :460: so it seems it it just a high level of road noise for any uneven surface.

Guess it it stays the same its the tires, if it gets worse I'll find out if its a suspension component.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts