Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 Kia Spectra, 2011 Kia Sportage
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here, but I've been driving my 2004.5 Spectra for about 8 months. It's been a decent car, but the dealership in Victorville (Hi-Desert Kia) has made the experience less than stellar. Currently I'm having problems with my sunroof; when I go to "tilt" the roof, it makes a terrible grinding sound, much like the plastic rubbing against the car. When I took the car in, they told me that the sound was caused by excessive dirt and washed my vehicle, but when I opened the roof after the wash, I got the SAME noise and there was no dirt!! They then changed their story and told me that it was normal for sunroofs to make a grinding sound because the summer heat expands the plastic band surrounding the glass.

So I guess my question is: Are sunroofs supposed to make a grinding noise after 8 months? And if the rubber guard surrounding the plastic is indeed warped, is this not considered a warrenty fix, or do I have to wait for the plastic to get a hole in it like the service department clerk told me?

Thanks for the help!

Randy

ps: They put gobs and gobs of White Lithium Grease around the entire roof... even getting some on my ceiling interior cloth... does white lithium grease stain?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an '05 Spectra5, and the sunroof is absolutely silent opening/closing, sans a small whine of the electric motor that moves it. The grinding - does it happen when both opening and closing? And does it happen only when you do the tilt, or when you slide the glass all the way back? That might help us give you more help.

As for the grease, it's pretty tough to get out. If they made a mess of it, make them replace the headliner. I don't think that's too much to ask given that they did it!

Devin

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
Hey railjackfave!

My 2004.5 Spectra EX has the power sunroof, and my 1 year / 12,000 mile experience is like Pinchy's.

Utter silence, smoothness, and reliability.

My guess is that something is wrong either with the roof's linkage to the motor, or the motor itself.

Use these posts as proof when you go into the dealership next, and see if they'll replace the entire roof mechanism.

Good luck, and report back to us!

-SM

·
Registered
33 Posts
sorry for the delayed reply, but if you are still having problems with your sunroof. I think that I may be of some help....I install and repair sunroofs for a living...

What your are experiencing is one of four possible problems.

1. Stripped gear in the sunroof pan.

2. Stripped sunroof cables.

3. Loose motor causing the gear to not catch on the ribbing of the sunroof cables.

4.Large piece of dirt or rock, etc got into the guides and at a certain spot. but this is unlikely from how you have described your sunroofs problem.

What the dealer is telling you is typical, as dealership service departments in general have little to no knowledge of how a sunroof works, or how to fix them, because sunroofs don't break all that often anymore, as most are made by a company called Webasto, who makes basically the Mercedes Benz of sunroofs.

Also, the white lithium grease they got on your headliner will clean off, but leave a stain, so they owe you a new headliner....insist that they replace it...

If the dealership is unwilling to repair your sunroof, or keep telling you there is nothing wrong with it, then go to www.webasto-us.com, and find a sunroof installation shop near you. The dealership can sublet the repair to them, and at least then it will get fixed properly.

Hope this helps you, if you are still having problems with the roof.

later.

Josh Barlocher

1 - 4 of 4 Posts