Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX, 1975 Datsun 280Z
3 Posts
Greetings,

First, my apologies if I upset anyone by posting an Audio question in the General discussion section. The Audio section doesnt look very lively.

Anyhoot, can anyone tell me the type of speaker adapter that is shown the picture? I'm replacing the stock, front door speakers, but the factory adapter is glued on to the speakers, so I need to get a replacement. Anyone happen to know the type and where to find one? I could drive around town asking minimum wage, non-audio retail sales people, but I figured I would ask the experts here first.

Thanks!

EDIT: Out of a 2005 Kia Sorento EX

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
First...
Most replacement speakers are 4 ohms and the KIA speakers are 2 ohms...
By just replacing the speakers you WILL loose power/volume...

An 8 ohm speaker will read around 4 ohms "resistance"
A 4 ohm speaker will read around 2 ohms "resistance"
A 2 ohm speaker will read around 1 ohm "resistance"

Make sure you read the resistance of the original KIA speakers and get only ones that match the "resistance" values above so as to not loose volume...
Super Duper high end speakers may cost you money and performance but "look good"

Once you find the proper speaker "resistance" try it FIRST with clip leads between the original wiring connector and the new speaker...
18 in. Low Voltage Test Leads
"if" they sound OK then you can remove the built in connector on the original speaker and use it for your new installs...
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX, 1975 Datsun 280Z
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, I'll be sure to verify that info first. So getting the original adapter off the Kia factory speaker is pretty easy? Looks like mine is super glued on to the speaker. Guess I can get a razor blade and cut around the glue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts