Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed (dealer did it) the spark plugs in my Borrego this week. Even though they are rated for 100k miles, I am old school and changed my plugs early (50k). As I have the V6, 3 of the plugs are easy to reach, but the other side (right of vehicle) are under the manifold and requires some removal to access the plugs. I bought the plugs off amazon ($12 each, dealer charges $30) and let the dealer install them ($120).

One thing I wanted to note, is that for some reason the OEM plugs (NGK laser iridium's) were changed during the production of the truck in its first year. If your truck production date is prior to 4-15-08, you used one plug and if after, you use another plug. The former plug has a 14mm thread and the latter a 12 mm thread which is really amazing and makes me wonder why the change? Anyhow, no problems and the truck runs great.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
At least you'll feel as though you've done the right thing. Our Mazda was done at 50,000km (although it was supposed to be 100,000km), but I'm not doing the next change until 150,000km, unless the engine tells me otherwise. I'll probably have traded it by then.

I have seen stories of really long plug-change intervals resulting in plugs that are very hard to remove. You have to wonder at the design philosophy that buries some of the plugs under manifolds etc.

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
My car was made 05/08 and requires the smaller threaded plugs. Found some NGK 6215's at a local tuner for $10/per. They are hard to find at major auto parts stores. Installed myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sumook, what else did you need and how hard was to change the right side, want to change wife's but don't want to tear it open and have it down waiting on additional parts, gaskets, ect!! Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima
517 Posts
Just to add, changing the plugs as normal maintenance before the 100,000 mile/160,000 km mark is a waste of time and money as one will not see any improvement in mpg and/or performance when changing the plugs regardless of the mileage. Have seen iridium plugs in the 140,000 mile/225,000 km range, still functioning properly and when removed no abnormal wear indicated.
Sorry, no info about the actual plug change, but there are videos on the Sedona available on the net.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found out about 2 different spark plug sizes too when I had mine replaced about a year ago. Bought on ebay and took them to a dealer. They called me and said the plugs were wrong size and wanted me to approve them ordering the correct size, which I did. Later when picking up the car, they told me that even the ones they initially got were the wrong ones, and they had to call around to find the right sized ones.

It's annoying the way Kia uses multiple part numbers, and most databases out there don't reflect that. They same thing happened to me when replacing the alternator. Apparently ones with rear entertainment use higher amp units with different size plugs, but this distinction is not made in catalogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts