Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please help me I cannot locate my spark plugs on my 01' sportage If I can locate them I can save lots of $$$ My dealership is going to charge me $300.00 to change the spark plugs and wires that of which I have already purchased for only $35.00 for plugs and wires my only complication to this matter is where are they!! please somebody help me!!
randi :innocent:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have to change the plugs in my sporty next week. All the info you need can be found if you scroll down and look for changing spark plug info. The report given is very comprehensive thanks to a very dedicated bloke (guy). The plugs are burried under the black cover on top of the engine. It will take about three hours to do the job. In view of the time and messing around that has to be done, you are strongly advised to buy the very best plugs availabe that Kia approoves. Note ! The plugs must be the best suitable for the engine. Dont use an "ordinary" plug or you will be bitterly disapointed.
Enjoy the work and relax. :)
Wedge

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,115 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
3 Hours to change the spark plugs? I think that is a little over estimate.
All you have to do is dissasemble the intake that runs over the engine and pop that black piece off and you are right into the spark plug location. As for the spark plugs themselves the stock kia ones suck i upgraded to some Bosch(sp) Platinums.

At first, I too, could not locate the sparkplugs, however, once you know where they are it is cake to change them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had my sparkplugs replace twice by machnic, both times it took them 45 minutes to 1 hr to do the job.

they just told me the engine needed to be cold when changing the plugs.

last time i replaced the plugs , i used bosch +4 ...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by VinDiezel84@Mar 5 2005, 04:13 PM
3 Hours to change the spark plugs? I think that is a little over estimate. 
All you have to do is dissasemble the intake that runs over the engine and pop that black piece off and you are right into the spark plug location.
3 hours start to finish is not unreasonable if you are a novice and it's the first time you've changed the spark plugs on the DOHC engine.

As for the spark plugs themselves the stock kia ones suck i upgraded to some Bosch(sp) Platinums.
There's nothing wrong with the stock NGK plugs. Just adhere to the recommended 30K mile change interval. Bosch platinums are OK to use. But all they do is allow you to go to every 60K miles between changes. If you think they are significantly better than stock and provide more power you are suffering from the "they cost more so they must be better syndrome." They don't provide more power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts