Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a valve cover gasket replacement and crank sensor replacement. Pulled the coil packs and plugs from driver's side and yup, I forgot to mark which spark plug wire goes to which coil pack. I did a search to find my answer but all I could find was admonitions to make sure they were in the right order.

So....

if cylinder #1 is front right, which coil pack does this wire go to on the driver's side? Is it #4 - driver middle?

#3, right middle, goes to which coil pack on driver's side? #6, driver rear?

#5, right rear, goes to which coil pack on driver's side? #2, driver front?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Back in the good old days, they came with little labels. Times have changed.

Sometimes you could tell from the length of the cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something is wrong! Got everything all buttoned up and it turns over but will not start. I checked and I have fuel (plugs are drenched) and I also have spark.

I did not remove the timing belt to change out the crank sensor so the timing should be exactly where it was before I started this project.

What did I miss??????

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
You didn't forget to plug the crank sensor lead in at the harness connection up near the top of the engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything appears to be plugged in. I don't think I'd have spark if I forgot to plug in the crank sensor!

I removed the intake just to make sure everything was good on the top end. Sure looks the way it's supposed to.

Looks like I'll be pulling the timing covers off again......

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Everything appears to be plugged in. I don't think I'd have spark if I forgot to plug in the crank sensor!
True I had forgotten that. Although in many cars the engine will still continue to run by calculating TDC on cylinder No 1 even if the sensor fails, once the PCM initally has the crank position. Of course if you stop it it won't start again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts